Brooder Panels for Chickens and Poultry
Brooder Starter KitsBasic brooder kits contain the essential items to get your flock off to a good start and simplify your purchasing decisions.
What is a brooder?It’s a chick’s first home. Ideally, it should be as warm and secure as a mother hen. The brooder can be as simple as a cardboard box with bedding and a Prima heat lamp or heating plate—or a commercial appliance designed for hundreds of chicks.
Why do I need a brooder?Newly hatched chicks require safe, nonstop access to warmth, feed and water. A brooder should be a secure structure that is protected from drafts, safe from predators, and in a location where you can frequently check on the young birds.
Design your own brooderModular design allows chick brooder panels to be easily added or removed. Simply interlock the connector slots to assemble.
Allow 0.5 sq ft of space per day-old chick.
What about bedding?Bedding:
- Insulates the brooder floor.
- Gives chicks something to scratch in.
- Absorbs moisture from droppings and leaky waterers (replace the latter).
- Replace bedding often. Birds will soil it quickly.
- Clean bedding = clean chicks = healthy, live birds. Heavily used bedding is unhealthy for birds. (And smells bad!)
- Shredded newspaper (day one).
- Chopped straw.
- Wood shavings.
- Crushed corn cobs, peat moss or sand.
- We don’t recommend sawdust as it can be far too dusty.