Fence Conductors: Electric Rope, Twine, Wire and Tape
Important facts about electric fence conductors…
- Premier conductors are made to our specifications. They’re the result of over 35 years of testing, observing, analyzing and retesting. We continue to “tweak” specifications—and recognize that all products can be further improved.
- We are interested in what works and what might fail for specific purposes for specific species. We are not interested in what sells best, fancy packages or exaggerated claims.
- Our goal is to supply you with a choice:
- Unique products with features and capabilities not found elsewhere.
- Products similar to those found elsewhere. This allows you to compare and buy at the level that suits your current needs.
What Premier offers…
- More experience. We were among the very first to offer and promote electrified rope.
- Knowledge. We specialize in electric fences. We use them. Stores and catalogs don’t.
- Widest range of options: IntelliBraid, EnduraSoft, IntelliRope PE, etc. So you can choose a product for your specific situation and need.
- Ropes and tapes that combine conductivity, durability, visibility and mildew resistance.
- Both braided and twisted ropes.
- Lowest costs for similar quality. It’s almost a “given” that if someone is selling rope for less than Premier, it is inferior in diameter, conductivity, filament quality or visibility. (Check the labels for yourself.)
Facts about our braid & rope…
- Most UV resistant: EnduraSoft, IntelliBraid
- Most resistant to mildew: IntelliRope PE
- Best for long fences: EnduraSoft, IntelliBraid and IntelliRope PE
- Best for portable fences: IntelliRope PE 4.5
- Best for semi-permanent fences: IntelliRope PE 4.5 and 6.0
- Lowest cost per ft: IntelliRope PE 4.5
- Least cost per year of use: EnduraSoft, IntelliBraid and IntelliRope PE 4.5
What to look for when purchasing electrifiable rope…
- Visibility against all backgrounds. Animals see colors poorly, so maximum contrast is important.
- Conductivity: Important if the fence is over 1000 ft or in contact with weeds. If not conductivity is a minimal factor.
- Durability: Should match intended use. Why should you buy a “20-year” rope for a “2-year” situation?
- Exposure of metal filaments: The better ropes have these spread evenly and frequently around the exterior.
- Support: Extreme warranties (with fine print) play upon fear to drive up sales. We’ve backed all of our products for 35 years. If a Premier item disappoints in ways not described by Premier, we will replace it or refund its value, simple as that!
A comparison of EnduraSoft® , IntelliBraid and ElectroBraid®:
- Plastic filaments? All are polyester.
- Design? The plastic filaments are twisted in EnduraSoft. For the other two, they are, obviously, braided.
- Size and strength? Similar.
- Visibility? EnduraSoft's strong black/ white contrast is much more visible.
- Safety to horses? No difference.
- Maintenance? Despite a competitor's claim on the Internet (one has to wonder why they say this rubbish), twisted rope does not unravel under tension and needs no more maintenance than either braided rope.
- Durability/longevity? Similar.
- Cost? EnduraSoft 13¢ and IntelliBraid 15¢ per ft from Premier. ElectroBraid® (a competitor's product) is currently 21¢ per ft. Why the difference? 1. Premier doesn't sell through retailers. We sell direct to you. 2. We also buy direct--in semi loads.
- Metal filaments? All use copper. EnduraSoft and IntelliBraid use tinned copper (used for decades by fence manufacturers worldwide because it doesn't corrode if it contacts steel). ElectroBraid® uses untinned copper--which is why it requires the use of brass accessories.
- Warranty? Premier's approach is simple. If any of our fence products (not just rope) are defective or don't satisfy within a reasonable period of time (years, not months), we either replace them or refund their cost (pro-rated). Premier has been standing behind our products since 1979 (a decade before ElectroBraid® existed). We've supplied over 12,000 miles of electrifiable rope to satisfied customers. We have been and still are the biggest single retail outlet for electrifiable rope in the USA. Because we both supply direct and use all it on our farms we quickly learn if an item disappoints.
Plastic filament facts…Most in-store labels don’t tell you what the plastic filament is. They should because there can be large differences in performance and cost per year of life.
Why don’t they? Some may not know. Others hope you’ll assume all rope is the same and just buy on price.
The filament options in descending order of cost per ft and resistance to sunlight are:
- Virgin polyethylene monofilament
- Polyethylene monofilament
- Polypropylene film
The differences between these in response to sunlight, movement, stretching, mildew and years of life can be large. Some will last only 2 years and some more than 20 years.
We advise you not to buy rope with labels that do not clearly say which it is.