IntelliShock PRS-I 25 Solar Energizer & Kit
Solar powered 0.25 joule energizer. A PRS-I unit (I for “Intelligent”) is able to reduce its battery draw when the fence’s voltage is high—due to few weeds touching the fence.
This occurs in fall and winter for most fences and occurs all year for some horse, cattle and deer fences. So an “I” unit’s battery is more likely to remain charged through the low sunlight days of autumn and winter.
Note: Kit includes a 5-light fence tester.
- 1 Horizont 0.25 joule energizer
- 1 12 amp hour 12v sealed lead acid battery
- 1 Wiring harness
- 1 5-watt solar panel
- 1 Overcharge regulator
- 110v battery recharger
- 1 Ground rod
- 1 UV treated, plastic carry case
- 1 T-post/"T" ground rod mount
- If you buy the kit, it comes with all of the above plus a 5-light tester.
- 0.33 stored joules
- 0.25 released joules
- 0.25 joules in moist soils
- 0.14 joules in dry soils
- Requires 1.5' of ground rod in the ground.
- Draw from a 12v battery is 13-27 milliampere (mA) per hour (depending on weed-load). With this energizer a 12v 100 ampere hour, deep cycle battery* will last approximately 192 days on a clean or 92 on a weedy fence.
- 40 pulses per minute.
- If properly used and or stored, battery should last 3-4 years.
*Assumes being drawn down to 40% between recharges.
- 1/2 mile of 3 strand cattle fence.
- 1/4 mile of 5-7 strand sheep fence.
- 2-3 164' sheep/goat nets or 1 164' poultry nets.
All distances are dependent of grass/weed load on the fence.
- Plug-in battery recharger tops off the battery when the unit is not in use.
- Won't rust. It's UV treated plastic.
How to Use
To use T-post/"T" ground rod mount: slide mount over T-post or "T" ground rod. Slide unit onto adapter.
If you're not using your PRS unit during the winter follow these tips to preserve battery life:
- Turn off the unit. Disconnecting the unit from the fence is not sufficient, the unit will still pulse unless it is turned off.
- Clean off the solar panel. Dust and debris may have accumulated during use and as a result prevents the panel from maximum electrical production.
- Before the unit goes into storage, fully charge the unit. This will allow the battery to be topped off. Batteries that are 50% or less charged may become damaged in freezing temperatures.
- If possible, place the unit in a sunny area, this will allow the solar panel to continuously top-off the battery. The battery will lose charge over time even if the unit is disconnected from the fence and turned off.
If you're planning on using your PRS unit during the winter months, follow these helpful hints:
- Face the energizer due south, this will allow the panel to receive the maximum amount of light possible during the low-light days of winter.
- Instead of laying the unit on its back, stand up or prop up the unit (facing south) to allow it to receive as much light as possible.
- Hang the unit up (facing south), secure the top and base to prevent the unit from moving. This will keep the unit out of most snow drifts and allow accumulated snow to fall off.
- If the unit is not to be hung up, clear all debris off the panel, this includes grass clippings, dust (especially on gravel roads), leaves and snow. Do not place in shady areas, this will reduce light intake.
- Make sure the power is turned off before working on the fence or the energizer.
- Premier is able to repair broken Horizont energizer units.
- Please note that this is a 0.25 joule unit. It best performs with cattle, horse or multi-strand sheep/goat fences. If using with netting, make sure the fence line is clear of grass and debris that may lower the fence's voltage.
- Test the energizer first.
- Turn off energizer.
- Disconnect ground wire and the fence wire.
- Turn energizer back on.
- With fence tester, put the ground probe (or clamp) to the ground terminal on the energizer and the metal loop (or positive clamp) at the top of the tester to the fence/positive terminal. The reading you get tells you how well the energizer is working without any other variables. If there is a very low voltage (under 4000v) or no voltage, then the energizer may have a problem. If the voltage is high (greater than 4000v) then the trouble lies with your fence. Most energizers put out between 5000v and 8000v when there is no load (i.e. no fence hooked up).
If the energizer is faulty and you are using the Horizont energizer as a battery unit you need to learn if the battery or the energizer is the problem…
- If it's a 12 volt energizer carry the unit to a nearby vehicle and attach the input cords carefully to the vehicle's battery.
- If the energizer now works, then your fencer's battery needs to be recharged or replaced.
- If the energizer does not work, then you should call Premier re. repairs.
If the fence is at fault, then you must find the fault(s) and fix them.
If you have a Fault Finder you can simply touch the fence with the Fault Finder at various points along the electric fence(s). The Fault Finder will tell you at each point which direction to go in to locate the problem. Move in that direction testing as you go and you will arrive at the problem.
If you lack a Fault Finder…
- Walk or drive along the fence looking for any point in which the energized wires touch the soil, a steel post or a steel wire. On HT wire fences, check the wires at braces to see if they are touching a hot wire. On netting, look for a hot wire touching the metal stake at the bottom of the plastic posts. Also look for damaged insulators.
- If the fence can be separated into several parts (by switches or by disconnecting parts of it), you can locate the problem by beginning at the far end and then progressively turn off or disconnect the sections of fence. When the voltage on the remaining fence rises sharply, you've located the section(s) that's causing the problems.
- The alternative to (2.) is to begin at the fencer and progressively turn on sections of the fence. When the voltage suddenly drops you can assume that the problem is in the section most recently connected.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
David K from Maine
Easy to set up, and it works!
We've been fighting a running battle with a jackrabbit who has a taste for our (home garden) bean plants. We had never had a problem with critters before, so the attack this summer came as a surprise. We tried a couple of less expensive solutions (Liquid Fence, ultrasonic device) to no avail.
I had resisted getting a fence because of the expense and the (presumed) difficulty of erecting one. However, we broke down and spent the money for the IntelliShock PRS-I 25 kit plus VersaNet 11/30/3 kit. The energizer and fence were really easy to setup and... no more critter problems!
It's too late to salvage much of a bean crop this year, but I'm confident that next year will be better. (These will be expensive beans! :-)
David B from South Carolina
It's still early days yet. We've had this charger running for a couple of weeks now. It replaces another brand solar charger that couldn't keep the fence electrified in bad weather. The PRSI25 has had no trouble despite a fair bit of overcast and rain. Nice, sturdy, easy to use, waterproof. I'm wishing I'd spent the extra $50 and bought this the first time. We'll see how well it holds up after a year or two, but if I needed another I'd buy one of these.
Carra D from Florida
Bought this with the poultry netting fence. Since the first area I am having the chickens work (scratch, eat and fertilize) isn't very big I have extra fence. We stood it neatly up at the end of the rectangle that we made. We used the tester and see that power is flowing threw, but yet when one of the girls was interested in a bug on the other side of the fence she repeatedly tried to walk through the fence. If she got a shock it didn't phase her. Hmmm - I'll watch the video and see what I did wrong. It maybe due to the "extra panels" I have. (I wish I would have bought the smaller fence, but I'll make it work.) Great product and also like that it was charged and ready to go, and that everything was included in the box. Thank you for making this so easy!
Melissa M from New York
Works great! Easy to install and the videos on the website were very helpful for first time users.
Mara D from West Virginia
Excellent all the way around. Easy to order, rapid delivery, straight forward set up, convenience of everything included in one box (grounding rod, mounting bracket, wiring harness and clamps) and added bonus that unit was fully charged on arrival as we had a week of clouds and rain. Thank you Premier.