Brooder Starter Kits
Brooder Starter KitsBasic brooder kits contain the essential items to get your flock off to a good start and simplify your purchasing decisions.
What is a brooder?It’s a chick’s first home. Ideally, it should be as warm and secure as a mother hen. The brooder can be as simple as a cardboard box with bedding and a Prima heat lamp or heating plate—or a commercial appliance designed for hundreds of chicks.
Why do I need a brooder?Newly hatched chicks require safe, nonstop access to warmth, feed and water. A brooder should be a secure structure that is protected from drafts, safe from predators, and in a location where you can frequently check on the young birds.
Allow 0.5 sq ft of space per day-old chick.
What about bedding?Bedding:
- Insulates the brooder floor.
- Gives chicks something to scratch in.
- Absorbs moisture from droppings and leaky waterers (replace the latter).
- Replace bedding often. Birds will soil it quickly.
- Clean bedding = clean chicks = healthy, live birds. Heavily used bedding is unhealthy for birds. (And smells bad!)
- Shredded newspaper (day one).
- Chopped straw.
- Wood shavings.
- Crushed corn cobs, peat moss or sand.
- We don’t recommend sawdust as it can be far too dusty.