- 4 American Lamb shanks, 1 pound each
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 bay leaves
- 2-1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
Season lamb with salt and pepper. In a large pot, add oil; brown lamb in batches on all sides. Transfer lamb to a plate. Add fennel and onion to the pot; cook until soft, 6 minutes. Stir in garlic and bay leaves; cook until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add wine and broth; bring to a boil. Turn off heat; return lamb to the pot. Cover and cook at 350ºF until tender, 2-1/2 hours. Transfer lamb to a platter.
Simmer sauce over medium heat until reduced by half, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in tarragon.
Serve with orzo.
4 servings. Preparation time: 20 minutes. Cook time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
Recipe and image provided by the American Lamb Board