- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 cup tomato vegetable juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 tablespoons fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds American Lamb, boneless leg, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup small boiled onions
- 2 oranges, cut into chunks (with skin)
- 12-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water
Remove green stems from fennel bulb. Peel off 6 outer layers. Cut into 1-inch squares; reserve. Finely chop remaining fennel. In large non-metal bowl, stir together chopped fennel, juices, onion, cilantro or parsley, fennel seed, salt and pepper. Add lamb cubes, fennel cubes and onions; cover and refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
Use a 12-inch bamboo skewer to make kabobs by alternating lamb cubes, orange chunks, fennel squares and onions. Repeat, making all skewers. Broil 4 to 6 inches from source of heat for about 10 to 14 minutes, turning once.
8 servings. Preparation time: 20 minutes. Marinate time: 12 hours. Cook time: 10 minutes
Nutrition per serving: 227 calories, 26 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 6 g total fat
(22 calories from fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 636 mg sodium, 8 mg niacin,
0.31 mg vitamin B6, 3 mcg vitamin B12, 3 mg iron, 5 mg zinc.
Recipe and image provided by the American Lamb Board