- 1-1/2 pounds American Lamb leg steaks, cut 1-inch thick
- 6 green onions
- 3 fresh poblano or ancho chilies (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, halved
- 1 green bell pepper, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, halved
- 12 medium flour tortillas, warmed
- Fresh salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
In small bowl, prepare fajita marinade: combine all ingredients. Place lamb in glass dish. Pour marinade over lamb, cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
Grill over medium-hot coals. Cook lamb, onions, chilies and bell peppers 4 inches from coals. Cook steaks 5 to 6 minutes per side or to desired degree of doneness: 145ºF for medium-rare, 160ºF for medium or 170ºF for well. Turn vegetables frequently until cooked.
Slice lamb steaks and vegetables into 1/4-inch thick slices. Serve on tortillas, top with salsa and roll up.
12 servings. Preparation time: 20 minutes. Marinate time: 4 to 6 hours. Cook time: 12 to 15 minutes
Nutrition per serving: 326 calories, 15 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 16 g total fat
(45% calories from fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 465 mg sodium, 4 mg niacin,
0.20 mg vitamin B6, 1 mcg vitamin B12, 3 mg iron, 2 mg zinc.
Recipe and image provided by the American Lamb Board