Apache Shearing Comb
Preferred by "pros" because it pushes through the wool easier. The extra wool that it leaves protects sheep from cold and sun. 3.6 mm thick, 92 mm wide with medium bevels.
For shearing range ewes, feeder lambs and winter farm flocks.
See our comparison chart for choosing the right cutter and comb for each situation.
- Sheep shearing (best done by expert shearers)
- 9 tooth
- 3.6 mm thick, 92 mm wide
- Flared on one side
- Medium bevel
- Fits any 3" shearing head
- Remove blades/combs/cutters from clipper or shearing machine.
- Clean blades/combs/cutters immediately after use by using a small brush or blowing off any excess dirt or hair. Cover with oil to reduce risk of rust. High carbon steel clipper blades will rust overnight. Rust will destroy both the edge and polished surface of blades.
- Store clipper/shearer and blades away from solvents, chemicals and moisture. Never leave them where they can be damaged by accidental impact.
Sharpening and Cleaning
- Premier offers an in-house resharpening service for all combs, cutters and blades. Rapid turnaround—most are sharpened within 24 hours.
- To reproduce the quality of the cutting edge on the clipper blades that came from the factory, a lapping machine must be used. Most other methods are, in our experience, inferior. In addition to producing a cutting edge that won’t last, some methods can permanently damage blades. The most common “culprit” is using large high speed grinding wheels that are used to sharpen cutters and combs.
Warning: Clipper blades/cutters/combs that have been sharpened by inferior methods or inexperienced people may be damaged to such an extent that they can never be restored to a satisfactory cutting capability. The same is true of blades that have become too heavily pitted by rust.
- Make sure the comb and cutter are installed as described in the instructions.
- Make sure the comb name can be read on outside when placed on head.
- Make sure to have 1/8" space from end of comb (bevel) to tip of cutter.
- Make sure the edge of the cutter does not go over the side of the comb.
- Make sure the tension is set correctly.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
#10 White Clipping Oil, 4 oz bottleItem #258200 -
A high-quality clear clipping and shearing oil to lubricate blades, combs and cutters. Reduces risk of stain to wool fibers and hair.$3.20
Combs and Cutters - Large
Comb LifterItem #862700 -
Leaves a layer up to 0.75" of uncut fiber on camelids, goats and other hair species.$5.00
Shearing PosterItem #860000 -
This poster includes easy to follow diagrams and instructions for shearing sheep. 14" x 20". Laminated.$9.25
Combs and Cutters - Large
Ceramic CutterItem #850040 -
Holds cutting edge up to 3 times as long as normal cutters.$16.00
Spitfire CutterItem #850000 -
Standard 4 point cutter for shearing machines. Works well with Premiers combs and shearing heads.$9.50
Storm Shearing CutterItem #850030 -
The tooth shape of this cutter enables it to run evenly across the comb. Use with 9-tooth combs like our Apache.$11.00
Premier Comb/Cutter BoxItem #824606 -
Use this handy box to keep expensive combs and cutters organized, clean, safe and lubricated.$3.20
Comb ScrewdriverItem #824600 -
For securing combs to shearing machines. Provides more leverage than a normal screwdriver and fits comb screws on all major shearing units.$3.00
#10 White Clipping Oil, 1/2 gal. jugItem #258400 -
A high-quality clear clipping and shearing oil to lubricate blades, combs and cutters. Reduces risk of stain to wool fibers and hair.$20.25
Imprinting - Large Clipper Blades, Combs or Cutters (each)Item #868600 -
Resharpen your blades, combs or cutters. Rapid turnaround, precision finish, low cost! Custom-engraving available.$1.50
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Jodi F from North Carolina
Execellent quality and excellent cut! It works perfectly on my sheep & llamas! Will continue to purchase in the future.
Randy B from Montana
They look good but have not used them yet.
Candice H from Nebraska
We have older ewes with very thick wool, this blade and comb set works amazing and makes shearing a breeze!
Mark J from New Mexico
I am new to shearing my Alpaca. I have tried several combs and cutter combinations (at the expense of the Alpaca). We usually have someone else come in and do the shearing, but wanted to do it myself. Just could not figure out how others were shearing so fast and easy. That was until I bought this comb and the Storm and ceramic cutters. I am shearing to get the fleece off and not for show so this comb is the only one that worked. Before buying this comb, the Alpaca suffered for 45 min. of cutting. I can now get it done in 15 min or less per Alpaca.
James G from Montana
An excellent 9-tooth comb. Over 2 decades using the old style 4000s shear, when double-ground (camelid sharpened) and paired with wide Storm cutters, this combination has almost completely replaced all my other combs and cutters. Very aggressive, not for the inexperienced. All too easy to catch skin (animal's) or fingertips in the wide gaps, which I can assure you is unsatisfactory to either party. Nevertheless, it is a fast cutting rig and, as others say, leaves enough fleece length to control sunburn. I own more Apache combs than all others combined. If the 9-tooth is too much, I also recommend the Blackhawk comb as an excellent substitute.