Butchering Chickens Book
A guide to humane small-scale processing. Expert guidance for taking your birds from pasture to freezer. Humanely slaughter and expertly butcher the birds you've raised so well.
- Choosing the right equipment
- Humane slaughtering methods
- Customized butchering options
- Packaging to preserve meat quality
- By Adam Danforth
- Paperback: 176 pages
- 6.8"L x 0.5"W x 8.9"H
With Adam Danforth's comprehensive step-by-step manual, you will learn how to close the loop on poultry production so your birds will never have to leave the farm.
- Set up the right conditions for slaughter to reduce stress on your chickens and ensure scrupulously clean work areas.
- Elect the right tools and learn the correct methods for slaughtering your birds safely and with consideration for their well-being.
- Butcher the carcass for the cuts you want, whether the standard eight pieces or more particular cuts, and learn how to use the entire bird, from the schmaltz to the feet, for full-flavor cooking.
- Package and freeze your meat to preserve quality, appearance, and freshness so that the chickens you raise and process yourself will nourish everyone they feed.
From a master teacher whose writing on butchering has won awards from the James Beard Foundation and the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
Poultry Processing KitItem #540380 -
Process your own chickens with this kit. Includes cone, knife and shackle.$105.00
MaxVac Quart Bags, pkg 100Item #950025 -
Vacuum bags for sealing meat, produce and other goods for freezing or storage. Multiple sizes available.$34.00
MaxVac Gallon Bags, pkg 100Item #950026 -
Vacuum bags for sealing meat, produce and other goods for freezing or storage. Multiple sizes available.$55.00
MaxVac Vacuum Sealer with Manual Vacuum ControlItem #950024 -
Extend the freshness and freezer life of your favorite foods. Commercial grade sealer is made of stainless steel and fits well on countertops.$529.99
Processing Cone, SmallItem #540365 -
To restrain birds during processing. Galvanized steel. Easy clean-up.$32.00
Plastic ShackleItem #540382 -
Hold birds for scalding and above the table for better hygiene during evisceration.$49.00
Poultry Sticker KnifeItem #540381 -
Use this carbon steel (quick to take an edge) knife to cut the bird's jugular during processing.$22.00
Poultry ShearsItem #950079 -
Heavy duty stainless steel shears slice through poultry backbones and shellfish.$17.50