An essential tool for those reliant upon their electric fences to keep animals in and predators out.
Measures the peak voltage of fence energizers.
- Gives an exact reading of volts on the fence line
- Can test your ground rod and energizer
- Large black numbers are easy to read, even in sunlight
- 37" ground cable
- 4.5" ground probe
- 1"x.75" digital display
- Protective case included
- Hard plastic body:6"x3"x3/4"
- 9V battery, included (normally lasts over 1 year)
How to Use
- Insert probe into the ground
- Clip the red fence clip to the live fence wire
- Read the digital readout of volts. It is shown in kV (2.7 kV = 2700V)
- Remove voltmeter clip from fence, then gently remove the probe from the ground (do not pull the wire, only grab the metal probe to remove)
- Turn off energizer
- Disconnect ground wire and fence wire from energizer
- Turn on energizer
- Touch probe from tester to ground terminal on energizer
- At same time touch the red fence clip to fence terminal on energizer
- The tester should light up to 6000V or more
- Disconnect the fence from your energizer and test across the two terminals on the energizer. If the readout is higher that what you found when you tested the fence, the fence is the culprit. However, if the voltage readout remains suspicious, the problem may be with the voltmeter. Check the battery (see information below) before "giving up" on the tester.
- The internal battery can also affect the accuracy of the digital reading. If either of the following is observed, change the battery (remove the screw on the back of the voltmeter to do so) and retest your fence.
- The luminosity of the output reading becomes weak.
- Voltage readings drop with each pulse (at the same fence location).
When the unit reads "LL" or "low batt," the battery on the tester (not the energizer's battery) is low and needs to be replaced.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Joanne B from New York
Best fence tester I have ever used—easy to read.
Brandon B from California
All the other similar products are either way too expensive or simply don’t work well. This unit is THE BEST.
Steven D from New Hampshire
I was never sure about the readings I got with the "remote" units that came as part of the kits, and it was inconsistent at best. Worth spending a little extra to get one of these to get readings you can be more certain about. Now I just have to wonder if the 3.2 kw is enough to keep out the woodchucks, my mortal enemies, or if I need to upgrade my energizer.
Allison H from Washington
Essential field tool for testing electric fencing!
Mark F from Virginia
A real piece of junk. Can’t believe what they charge for this. Plus packaging was terrible.