Fence & Battery Digital Tester
All-in-one digital fence tester checks the voltage of energizers, fences and 12V batteries. Simplify electric fence troubleshooting with one device!
Traditional fence voltmeters only determine fence voltage (in thousands), but they can’t read a battery’s lower voltages. Multimeters can test batteries and solar panels, but are damaged when testing the high voltages of electric fence.
Premier’s Fence & Battery Digital Tester measures both high and low voltages with a single, budget-friendly tool.
- Check energizer output, fence performance, and battery capacity
- Measures volts (V) and kilovolts (kV)
- Digital display removes the guesswork of light-up testers
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Dimensions: 4-3/4"L x 3"W
- Metal fence tip is 1"L
- Metal ground probe is 3"L with a 4' cord
- Requires (1) 9V battery, included
- HI means either the fence voltage is over 13,000V (13kV) or the battery voltage over 18V. Lo means, the internal 9V battery is flat.
How to Use
To test the energizer:The output voltage of an electric fence energizer should be at least 5000V. If the voltage is below 5000V, then the energizer may have a problem. If the voltage is above 5000V, then the trouble lies with your fence.
- Turn off energizer
- Disconnect ground and fence leads from the energizer
- Turn on energizer
- Touch ground probe to energizer’s ground terminal
- Touch the tester’s metal tip to energizer’s fence terminal
- Digital display shows voltage in kilovolts (e.g. 5.0 = 5000V)
To test the fence:Check the voltage to ensure the fence is properly electrified before introducing animals. Confirm voltage is at least 3000V at the end of the fence line.
- Insert corded probe into the soil
- Touch the tester’s metal tip to an energized fence strand
- Digital display shows voltage in kilovolts (e.g. 3.0 = 3000V)
- Pull meter away from fence, then remove the probe from the soil (when pulling, use the probe handle, not the cord, to prevent damage to the wire)
To test a battery:The voltage of a fully charged 12V battery is not lower than 12.6 volts. A 40% charge will read 12.2 volts. Recharge the battery if the voltage is below 12.2 volts.
- Disconnect battery from energizer, solar panel or charging station
- Touch the ground probe to the negative terminal of the battery
- Touch the tester’s metal tip to the positive terminal of the battery
- Digital display shows voltage in volts (e.g. 12.7 = 12.7 volts)
Battery replacement:Battery must be installed before initial use. If the unit flashes an 'error' code during testing or shows no measurement when testing an active energizer (flashing or clicking is evident), replace the battery.
- Remove screws holding back cover to unit
- Remove old 9V battery (if applicable) and attach new battery
- Replace cover
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Bradford C from Virginia
Works. I already had one of the contactless testers, but this one came with the kit when I upgraded from an IntelliShock 60 to the 180. It feels a bit clunky (think HBF tools) but it does work. My only gripe is that it seems to turn itself on if it’s near any sort of power source…which means it’s just going to run down that 9V battery for no reason.
- It needs a manual on/off switch or button
- LCD needs some QA (decimal point doesn’t show on mine)
Raymond P from Michigan
The ground probe pulled out of the plastic handle which makes it unusable.
Lee P from Missouri
Good product for the price.
Sarah E from Kansas
Purchased 16 months ago and was very pleased through the first season. Easy to use, with rapid readings. A few weeks into the second season, however, it completely stopped working, despite battery changes. Would have loved this if it had lasted more than one grazing season. Pretty disappointed in its lifespan.
Dustin I from Virginia
Purchased with an energizer last year and it worked great getting our fence set up. Setting the fence back up this spring, placed a new battery in the unit and it constantly reads 14.8-15.0 whether I’m testing a fence or not. Don’t expect these to last more than one season!