EZ-Mark® Marking Crayons
EZ-Mark® harness crayons are a great way to identify if a ewe or doe has been bred.
Crayons are available in red, blue, green, orange, yellow and black. For best results, use in outside temperatures from 40–80°F.
For outside temperatures lower than 40°F or higher than 80°F, look to Nettex Marking Crayons which are available in HOT/FIRM and COLD/SOFT options.
- Outside temperature range: 40–80°F
- Size: 4" length x (Front: 2" width, Back: 2 1/4" width) x 1" height
- Contains wax, colorants and inert excipients; no toxic components
- Metal cotter pin (hidden under the label) comes with each crayon
- Plastic case protects crayons during transport
- Compatible with Premier’s Deluxe Marking Harness, Nylon Breeding Harness or Cross Your Heart Leather Breeding Harness. (Harnesses sold separately.)
Marking Crayons Compared
How to Use
How to take off the protective plastic cover:
- Hold in one hand so crayon itself is facing you.
- Push the crayon (hole in the center) with finger or thumb.
- Crayon should pop out.
How to install crayon into harness holder:
- Remove cotter pin out of back of crayon by making a slit down middle of sticker.
- Place narrow end of crayon (plastic side down) in wide part of holder.
- Gently slide up until it can go no further.
- Slide cotter pin through holes on side of holder and crayon.
- With needle nose pliers, bend end of cotter pin to lock in place.
- The shade of the marks on wool may not exactly match the crayon color.
- Store in a dry, cool place to prevent crayons from melting.
- Always check the ram every day to see if the crayon needs changing or the harness needs adjusting!
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
We have been using EZ-Mark® Crayons for several years on our own farms in southeast Iowa with good success. (Weather in Iowa can change quickly between very cold and very hot.) It has puzzled us that some have indicated the same good results while others have expressed disappointment.
Regardless, enough folks have expressed frustration—especially in hot or cold climates—that we felt an alternative must be offered. So we brought in marking crayons from a reputable UK manufacturer. COLD/SOFT and HOT/FIRM crayons are available from Nettex for folks who want to try a different brand.
Todd L from Minnesota
Blue crayon broke off from metal housing after only a few days leaving only a small amount of crayon. Trying a different color.
Debbie G from Kentucky
Too soft. Only marked five ewes in three days and had to replace the crayon.
How in the world do people change the crayon without removing the harness? I have enough trouble bending the short pin on these crayons with the harness off!
Susan S from Oregon
The markers are easy to install in the Premier harness. I like the pin that goes through the harness and marker. The pin keeps the marker well attached, unlike the buttons.
Timothy T from Washington
Very nice. But when Fall temperatures go up be sure you have several on hand as they wear out fast when soft. The ram’s body temp can soften the base crayon but they tend to do the job for 40–60 ewes.
Nathan R from North Dakota
Crayons didn’t hold up, crumbled within days of putting on.