- 36" tall
- 1-1/2" deep
- 46" wide unfolded
- Folds down to 6" wide for easy storage
- Space for ewe's neck adjusts (3 widths) with movable pin
- Hot-dip galvanized (should not rust unless left in wet manure)
- Fits into existing lambing pens with 2 connecting pins (not included)
- Approximate wall thickness is 2-3mm depending on size of square tubing
- Place orphan headgate in corner of pen.
- If using wire panels in the pen, have the orphan headgate so that the connectors are sticking through the wire panels. Slide a connecting pin (not included) into each connector. If using wood pens, just wire the headgate to the sides of the pen.
- Adjust width of headgate to fit ewe's neck.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Sherry C from Texas
We finally decided to order this in advance of lambing season after years of deliberation. Sadly the unit we received was very poorly made and we ended up returning it. The hinges were very loose so that one side panel moved up and down contributing to the already large gap under the head opening. With our smaller breed a lamb could easily get caught in the gap and both ewe and lamb could get pinched in the hinge barrel. The frame is sturdy but the panels are poorly welded and there were several gaps and sharp points that would need filing down. For the price, the quality was not as expected. A head gate is something you hope not to need but if you do, you should have confidence that it won’t cause further harm. Sadly we did not and the product was returned.
Art J from Wisconsin
Had a number of Finnsheep ewes who were sensitive to nursing recent-born lambs this spring.
After securing the head gate, we put a small bucket of feed on the outside head of the gate making movement into and securing of the ewes easy. The lambs nursed successfully and without stress.
We have also used this unit to secure ewes and rams for exams and procedures. Using the head gate has resulted in much less stress for the animals. Highly recommend this product.
Keith M from Indiana
We bought this after seeing it recommended on Shetland groups. We have used it twice this year and it worked perfect with our Shetland ewes. Both lambs were accepted after no more than 4 feedings.
Quentin B from Kansas
Saved me from having to bottle feed kids that mother didn’t want. From fit perfectly in my home made kidding pens. Only bad part is some does with big horn sets won’t fit in it.
Babette F from Colorado
Love our orphan headgate. We had been cross tying nannies and/or ewes having a baby grafted. It also doubles as a creep feeder gate for the goat kids, when not in use as a headgate. Kids slip right through to eat creep feed. No nannies catching horns like in our home made crop feeding panels.