Blue Ring Expander
- 8" long
- Blue plastic handles
- Metal workings
How to Use
Premier Tip: When putting rubber "O" rings on your ring expander, turn or twist them on about half way down. When you roll them on, they seem to go all the way down and this makes it harder to get off the expander when banding a lamb or goat.
- Though it causes more distress (particularly ram lambs that are both castrated & docked), this lasts less than an hour if the lambs are less than 7 days old (because the nervous system is less developed).
- Rings (all sources) occasionally break so it's wise to check results a week later.
- Failing to ensure that both testicles are actually in the scrotum below the ring. This can be tricky with baby lambs and kids because the testicles are small.
- Applying rings before a lamb or kid is 24 hours old, up on its feet, nursing and active. To do so interrupts nursing and predisposes lamb to rapid death from E. coli problems ("watery mouth"). Many wait at least 2 days to apply on twins, triplets and orphans.
- Rubber rings can cause tetanus. Be sure to vaccinate ewes or does with a booster dose prior to parturition.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Ernie D from Tennessee
Worked as it should.
Arlene E from Iowa
The bander is lighter weight than I expected. It doesn't open super smoothly, but it totally functional and gets the job done.
Gary R from Idaho
Have used it twice now and it does exactly what it says it's for. Very fast, no mess and easy. One person can use it.
Lily B from California
Solid tool. The only thing I could complain about is removing the bander from the band once you have it closed around the testies. Was my 1st time banding alone, so perhaps there's a trick to make that last step a bit easier.
Chuck G from Georgia
Four stars because I have not used it yet, but looks well made.