Ground rods receive and carry the energizer's pulse from the soil back to the energizers.
The ground system is an essential component of any electric fence. Ground rods guide the pulse from the soil, back into the energizer. The larger the pulse or higher the resistance of the soil (because it’s dry, sandy, or rocky), the more ground rods that are needed to collect the electrons from the soil.
- Galvanized coating. Better than copper because copper is more likely to corrode, resulting in poor connections.
- 6 ft - 5/8" diameter and no head
- 3 ft - 1/2" in diameter and has a head on one end
How to Use
- Energizers—allow 3 ft of rod per joule of energy released (use 3 ft rods for smaller energizers and lightning diverters. Use multiple 6 ft rods for large energizers).
- Make sure to put the ground rod all the way into the ground.
- To attach insulated wire, make an elongated "U" in the wire.
- Put the "U" against the rod and put the stainless steel ground rod clamp around it. Tighten.
- Allow 3 ft of ground rod per joule of energy output
- Space 3 ft rods at least 5 ft apart
- Space 6 ft rods at least 10 ft apart
- In dry/sandy soil—use ground rods long enough to reach moist soil
- Make sure to have the ground rod all the way into the ground.
- Make sure you have a good connection to the ground rod.
- Make sure to have a good connection on the energizer and fence.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Matthew N from Pennsylvania
Yes, this did the trick. I wasn't getting enough spark from my poultry net, pounded one of these into the ground, and voila! It should be noted that as all the local hardware and tractor stores are out of galvanized rods. Premier 1 had them in stock and they arrived within 2-3 days. Thank you for excellent products and service!
Peggy W from Virginia
Just what I needed and less expensive then the local farm store.
Arlene D from New Jersey
Robert H from Massachusetts
Love Premier1. The products and support are exemplary. The service staff gives you the honest truth in selection of products. As it relates to this ground rod - excellent quality / delivery.
Thomas R from Indiana
I used a combination of 3 rods in conjunction with the lightning diverter to protect livestock and my fence charger. Ground rod installed nicely with a t-post driver and finished with a sledge.