Livamol® with BioWorma®
A feed supplement to control the spread of parasitic larvae in the pasture. Livamol® with BioWorma® contains a naturally occurring fungus that captures and consumes infective worm larvae (including chemical and anthelmintic resistant larvae) within the manure of grazing animals. BioWorma® is effective when fed to sheep, goats, cattle, horses and others—including deer, alpacas and zoo animals.
California Residents: Proposition 65 Information
Duddingtonia flagrans reduces the number of gastrointestinal nematodes (GIN) larvae on pasture, which is significantly greater than a chemical wormer can do within the animal. Overall averages below:
68% – SHEEP | 86% – GOATS | 81% – CATTLE | 84% – HORSES
Note: BioWorma® consumes larvae from the pasture, reducing the possibility of reinfection. It does not eliminate parasites present in the animal. Animals need to be treated with a dewormer/anthelmintic to remove the internal parasites.
- If I feed BioWorma® for 3 months will it establish on my farm?
- No. Once the fungus has consumed the larvae in the manure it will die.
- Is BioWorma® affected by seasonal change?
- BioWorma® is recommended for strategic use during periods when weather conditions are conducive to larval development and transmission onto pasture at temperatures above 40°F (5°C).
- Does it affect dung beetles or earthworms?
- There are no negative effects on non-target soil nematodes, earthworms, microarthropods, soil bacteria and fungi. Beneficial insects feeding or breeding on manure (e.g. dung beetles, fly larvae) are not negatively affected.
- Can I feed it to pregnant ewes?
- There are no precautions for feeding to pregnant animals.
- What's the difference between BioWorma® and Livamol® with BioWorma®?
- BioWorma® is a concentrated feed additive that is mixed into the feed (or other supplements). Livamol® with BioWorma® is a feed supplement premixed with BioWorma® and top dressed over the animals' feed.
- Duddingtonia flagrans strain IAH 1297* 2.200%
- Crude Protein, min 20%
- Crude Fat, min 5%
- Crude Fiber, max 16%
- Calcium, min 4%
- Calcium, max 6%
- Phosphorus, min 1.5%
- Fluorine, max 0.025%
- Vitamin A, min 27,000 IU/lb
- Vitamin D3, min 54,000 IU/lb
- Manganese, min 104 ppm
(*) Contains a minimum of 30,000 Colony Forming Units/gram of active ingredient.
Ingredients: Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Sugar, Cane Molasses, Fish Oil, Propylene Glycol, Benzoic Acid (preservative), Manganous Oxide, FD&C Blue No. 1, Butylated Hydroxytoluene (preservative), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Citric Acid (preservative), Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Cobalt Sulfate, and Sodium Iodide.
Biological control with Duddingtonia flagrans is applicable to the larvae of:
- Sheep and Goats
- Barber’s Pole Worm or Wire Worm (Haemonchus spp.), Black Scour Worm or Hair Worm (Trichostrongylus spp.), Brown Stomach Worm (Teladosagia (Ostertagia) spp.), Nodule Worm (Oesophagostomum spp.), Thin-necked Intestinal Worm (Nematodirus spp.) and Hookworm (Bunostomum spp).
- Barber’s Pole Worm or Wire Worm (Haemonchus spp.), Brown Stomach Worm (Ostertagia spp.), Black Scour Worm or Hair Worm (Trichostrongylus spp.), Hookworm (Bunostomum spp.), Intestinal Worm (Cooperia spp.), Thin-necked Intestinal Worm (Nematodirus spp.), Nodule Worm (Oesophagostomum spp.).
- Large strongyles (large red worms), including Strongylus spp., Triodontophorus spp. and Oesophagodontus spp.,small strongyles (small red worms or cyathostomes), including Cyathostomum spp., Cylicocyclus spp. and Cylicostephanus spp., Stomach Hair Worm (Trichostrongylus axei), Ascarids (Parascaris equorum), Threadworms (Strongyloides westeri) and Pinworms (Oxyuris equi).
How to Use
Daily Dosage Rates for Grazing Animals
|Bodyweight||Dose||Cost Per Animal
|50 lbs||0.8 oz||$0.23–$0.29|
|100 lbs||1.6 oz||$0.46–$0.58|
|200 lbs||3.2 oz||$0.93–$1.16|
|400 lbs||6.4 oz||$1.85–$2.32|
|500 lbs||8.0 oz||$2.32–$2.90|
|750 lbs||12.0 oz||$2.78–$3.48|
|1,000 lbs||16.0 oz||$3.70–$4.63|
|1,200 lbs||19.2 oz||$4.63–$5.79|
(*) Costs are provided as an estimate only. Qty. purchased and freight charges may affect final pricing.
USE RESTRICTIONS: Not for use in medicated feed. Not for use in free-choice feed. Do not feed undiluted. Not for direct consumption. Intended for further mixing into feed.
Shepherd’s Choice™ Management TipLivamol® with BioWorma® has a small particle size and is somewhat sandy in texture. To increase palatability and adhesion when feeding with grain, first process grains so they too have a smaller particle size. Or add moisture so the grain and supplement stick together. To start, add moisture at 1% of the daily feeding. For reference, a gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. A quart of water will treat 200 lbs of grain. If mixing daily, you can increase the moisture, possibly up to 5%. Another option would be to add diluted molasses to help it stick to the grain to encourage animals to consume the product.
- For best results, treat animals with a suitable oral, injectable, or pour-on wormer/anthelmintic to rid the animals of worms, then begin administration of Livamol® with BioWorma®.
- Move the treated animals onto low worm pasture (that is, pasture that has not been grazed by the same animal species for a minimum of 6 weeks).
- The most worm-susceptible are young animals (from 3 months up to 18-24 months of age) and periparturient females (last month of pregnancy and while producing milk) as they are the most likely to have less resistance to worm infestation due to low immunity. Do not underestimate pasture contamination by adult stock, even animals with low fecal egg counts (FECs), considering the volume of fecal material adult stock place on pasture.
- Thoroughly mix the Livamol® with BioWorma® with feed, and commence daily administration of the resultant mixture to minimize pasture infectivity and maintain the low worm status of the animals.
- Livamol® with BioWorma® will begin to work within the first day and may be fed continuously when warm, moist climatic conditions are conducive to parasitic nematode activity.
- Livamol® with BioWorma® is for use during periods when conditions are conducive to larval development and transmission onto pasture at temperatures above 40°F (5°C).
- Use Livamol® with BioWorma® in conjunction with the specified worm management strategy for your area by contacting your veterinarian or animal health advisor. It is important to consider the principles of refugia.
- Periodically check the worm burden and monitor the effectiveness of the worm management system. Options include fecal egg counts (FECs), the fecal egg count reduction test (FECRT) and/or identifying worm species by using fecal larval cultures (FLCs). Re-treatment with an effective chemical wormer may be indicated (consult your Veterinarian).
Questions? Ask a sheep expert for advice.
Item #780237 and #780238 are eligible for FREE Ground Delivery within the contiguous USA when ordering $100 or more of qualifying items.
Truckload pricing (10 pails or more) is available by request. Please contact us online or call 800-282-6631 for a quotation.
Estimated Cost for LTL Shipments
|# of Pails||Weight||Shipping Cost|
|Zone A||Zone B||Zone C|
|15 lb Pails|
|30 lb Pails|
Can cause serious eye irritation. Wear protective gloves, protective clothing, eye protection and face protection.
Buckets and Troughs
TurboScoop, largeItem #938361 -
Has a front-facing handle so it's uniquely easy to use and kind to wrists. Strong aluminum holds up to years of use without breaking or rusting.$24.00
Buckets and Troughs
TurboScoop, smallItem #938360 -
Has a front-facing handle so it's uniquely easy to use and kind to wrists. Strong aluminum holds up to years of use without breaking or rusting.$16.00
PortaTrough™ 5Item #938000 -
Portable 5 ft feeder withstands all weather and animal conditions. Stackable for easy movement and storage.$86.00
PortaTrough™ 3Item #938010 -
Easy to clean 3 ft livestock feeders used to provide grain, minerals, salt or water. Stackable for easy movement and storage.$49.00
Buckets and Troughs
GoatTuff FeederItem #938020 -
Durable trough feeder designed specifically with goat behavior in mind. Reduces waste and promotes animal safety.$39.00
Buckets and Troughs
Rubber Pan (without handles), 3 gallonItem #999610 -
Rubber feeding and watering pan for livestock. Flexible and sturdy through decades of use. 3 and 6.5 gallons.$12.00
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Annelle O from Texas
This is our second year using this product and it seems to be working well. The pastures that the animals were given Livamol with BioWorma last year have not had problems with worms so far.
Shelley P from Oklahoma
I used BioWorma last spring/summer. Didn’t have to worm my sheep all year.
Cindy S from Missouri
A must for small farms! After 3 years the worm build up will kill all but the most hardy goats. This helps prevent the worm build up so you can cull more humanely. Goats get shiny from the vitamins and kids get a fighting chance. This preserves your farm!!!
Sheri R from Texas
I've only had goats for 2 years, and we've always used pasture rotation practices. We've yet to have any parasite issues (many around me do) and I hope this product keeps it that way. Although it is pricey we have a small dairy herd and right now so it's not a big deal. But plan to expand in the coming years, and unfortunately cost may become an issue like many have said.
For taste... well of course no goat likes "new" food and they all turned their noses. I started with small quantities and slowly increased over a week. The easiest trick was mixing it with Chaffhaye helps mask the smell and top with some grain, they gobbled it up. Helps if they don't always get grain... my dry goats don't. So when I do offer it, it's a race to see who can eat the fastest. Now it's part of dinner, and they just eat it without being fussy.
Hopefully this review helps with the taste issue, I know that was my biggest fear that no one would eat it. But it really just took time for them to get over it, they will eventually.
Jennifer D from Virginia
I’ve been looking for this product since March and was so happy to find it on Premier 1’s website. I’m not sure how effective it is just yet but I’m glad to have found a site to purchase from. I would totally recommend this product simply based on its method of action. Hoping for good results.