EZ-Mark® Marking Crayons
EZ-Mark® harness crayons are a great way to identify if a ewe or doe has been bred.
Crayons are available in red, blue, green, orange, yellow and black. For best results, use in outside temperatures from 40–80°F.
For outside temperatures lower than 40°F or higher than 80°F, look to Nettex Marking Crayons which are available in HOT/FIRM and COLD/SOFT options.
Crayons are compatible with Premier’s Deluxe Marking Harness, Nylon Breeding Harness or Cross Your Heart Leather Breeding Harness. (Harnesses sold separately.)
- Outside temperature range: 40–80°F
- Size: 4" length x (Front: 2" width, Back: 2 1/4" width) x 1" height
- Contains wax, colorants and inert excipients; no toxic components
- Metal cotter pin (hidden under the label) comes with each crayon
- Plastic case protects crayons during transport
- Compatible with Premier’s Deluxe Marking Harness, Nylon Breeding Harness or Cross Your Heart Leather Breeding Harness. (Harnesses sold separately.)
Marking Crayons Compared
|Colors:||Red, Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, Black||Red, Blue, Green||Red, Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, Black||Red, Blue, Green|
How to Use
- Hold in one hand so crayon itself is facing you
- Push the crayon (hole in the center) with finger or thumb
- Crayon should pop out
- Remove cotter pin out of back of crayon by making a slit down middle of sticker
- Place narrow end of crayon (plastic side down) in wide part of holder
- Gently slide up until it can go no further
- Slide cotter pin through holes on side of holder and crayon
- With needle nose pliers, bend end of cotter pin to lock in place
- The shade of the marks on wool may not exactly match the crayon color.
- Store in a dry, cool place to prevent crayons from melting.
- Always check the ram every day to see if the crayon needs changing or the harness needs adjusting!
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Nylon Breeding HarnessItem #501000 -
Ram crayon marking harness. Ideal for larger framed animals. Quick and easy to adjust.$18.50
Deluxe Marking HarnessItem #501020 -
Many flocks use marking harnesses on their breeding rams to identify when ewes are bred.$28.00
Cross Your Heart Breeding HarnessItem #502600 -
Harness fits to rams and bucks to hold marking crayons, letting shepherds know when ewes or does have been bred to anticipate lambing kidding dates.$26.00
Sheep Management WheelItem #986000 -
Provides a detailed schedule based on your preferred lambing date. Very helpful in planning out your shepherding year.$14.00
Lambing and Kidding Aids
Lambing Barn Sheets, 10 per packetItem #780045 -
Keep records with these easy-to-use lambing barn sheets. An easy reference for all of your lambing details. Packet of 10.$10.00
Hobby Farm Series - Goat BookItem #981023 -
This book is an in-depth guide to small-scale goat keeping--for pleasure and profit!$17.00
Storey's Guide to Raising SheepItem #981004 -
This is an invaluable resource for everyone who raises sheep. It contains the most comprehensive and current information available on:$27.00
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
We have been using EZ-Mark® Crayons for several years on our own farms in southeast Iowa with good success. (Weather in Iowa can change quickly between very cold and very hot.) It has puzzled us that some have indicated the same good results while others have expressed disappointment.
Regardless, enough folks have expressed frustration—especially in hot or cold climates—that we felt an alternative must be offered. So we brought in marking crayons from a reputable UK manufacturer. COLD/SOFT and HOT/FIRM crayons are available from Nettex for folks who want to try a different brand.
Trent S from Indiana
Works better in colder weather. They get sticky when it’s warmer out. I like the pin. It holds them on better and is easier to change.
Todd L from Minnesota
Blue crayon broke off from metal housing after only a few days leaving only a small amount of crayon. Trying a different color.
Debbie G from Kentucky
Too soft. Only marked five ewes in three days and had to replace the crayon.
How in the world do people change the crayon without removing the harness? I have enough trouble bending the short pin on these crayons with the harness off!
Susan S from Oregon
The markers are easy to install in the Premier harness. I like the pin that goes through the harness and marker. The pin keeps the marker well attached, unlike the buttons.
Timothy T from Washington
Very nice. But when Fall temperatures go up be sure you have several on hand as they wear out fast when soft. The ram’s body temp can soften the base crayon but they tend to do the job for 40–60 ewes.