EZ-Mark® Marking Crayons
EZ-Mark® harness crayons are a great way to identify if a ewe or doe has been bred.
Crayons are available in red, blue, green, orange, yellow and black. For best results, use in outside temperatures from 40–80°F.
For outside temperatures lower than 40°F or higher than 80°F, look to Nettex Marking Crayons which are available in HOT/FIRM and COLD/SOFT options.
- Outside temperature range: 40–80°F
- Size: 4" length x (Front: 2" width, Back: 2 1/4" width) x 1" height
- Contains wax, colorants and inert excipients; no toxic components
- Metal cotter pin (hidden under the label) comes with each crayon
- Plastic case protects crayons during transport
- Compatible with Premier’s Deluxe Marking Harness, Nylon Breeding Harness or Cross Your Heart Leather Breeding Harness. (Harnesses sold separately.)
Marking Crayons Compared
How to Use
- Hold in one hand so crayon itself is facing you
- Push the crayon (hole in the center) with finger or thumb
- Crayon should pop out
- Remove cotter pin out of back of crayon by making a slit down middle of sticker
- Place narrow end of crayon (plastic side down) in wide part of holder
- Gently slide up until it can go no further
- Slide cotter pin through holes on side of holder and crayon
- With needle nose pliers, bend end of cotter pin to lock in place
- The shade of the marks on wool may not exactly match the crayon color.
- Store in a dry, cool place to prevent crayons from melting.
- Always check the ram every day to see if the crayon needs changing or the harness needs adjusting!
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
We have been using EZ-Mark® Crayons for several years on our own farms in southeast Iowa with good success. (Weather in Iowa can change quickly between very cold and very hot.) It has puzzled us that some have indicated the same good results while others have expressed disappointment.
Regardless, enough folks have expressed frustration—especially in hot or cold climates—that we felt an alternative must be offered. So we brought in marking crayons from a reputable UK manufacturer. COLD/SOFT and HOT/FIRM crayons are available from Nettex for folks who want to try a different brand.
Janet P from Colorado
Clip is hard to use. The ends of the clip need to have one end longer than the other so it’s easier to bend on the harness. Color only seems to last through 2 ewes. I like the price but the product could use some improvements.
Gillian F from New York
Fits easily into the harnesses. Too soft for warm temps, rams wore off all the chalk in the first 4–5 days of a new color even at temps less than 80°F. Because the ends of the locking cotter pins are even with each other it makes it very hard to bend the pin to keep it from falling out, the Nettex brand of chalk has the ends different lengths so it’s easy to bend one.
Lynn B from Ohio
The pin to hold the chalk in the harness is a lot harder to bend than the Nettex brand, but I find the chalk doesnt fall out as easily. The chalk is more securely attached to the base it comes with (I have had the Nettex brand chalk fall out of its base. (Not the harness connection point, the actual base that the chalk is attached to.)
Crystal B from Tennessee
Great crayons! They mark well and brightly! It’s important to peel off the plastic cover first. :) We use them every time we work our sheep! Great to keeping us knowing who has been “done”. Enjoy!
Trent S from Indiana
Works better in colder weather. They get sticky when it’s warmer out. I like the pin. It holds them on better and is easier to change.