- 8.5" long
- Plated steel
How to Use
Premier Tip: When putting rubber "O" rings on your ring expander, turn or twist them on about half way down. When you roll them on, they seem to go all the way down and this makes it harder to get off the expander when banding a lamb or goat.
- Though it causes more distress (particularly ram lambs that are both castrated & docked), this lasts less than an hour if the lambs are less than 7 days old (because the nervous system is less developed).
- Rings (all sources) occasionally break so it's wise to check results a week later.
- Failing to ensure that both testicles are actually in the scrotum below the ring. This can be tricky with baby lambs and kids because the testicles are small.
- Applying rings before a lamb or kid is 24 hours old, up on its feet, nursing and active. To do so interrupts nursing and predisposes lamb to rapid death from E. coli problems ("watery mouth"). Many wait at least 2 days to apply on twins, triplets and orphans.
- Rubber rings can cause tetanus. Be sure to vaccinate ewes or does with a booster dose prior to parturition.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
connie h from Nebraska
Excellent product. We use it on our goats. Perfect size. Super fast shipping. Would recommend Premier to my friends!
This tool also works great to castrate young bulls. Some of the larger expanders marketed for cattle just are too bulky if you are working on an animal that is standing. This expander has a smaller smoother handle and the expanded end fits under a small bull handily when open. I had a second hand ring expander like this before that eventually broke from being stepped on and tossed around too much. That was when I tried out a "cattle" ring expander that resulted in frustration. I was thrilled to find this one again in an all metal design. Hats off to Premier for offering a better product, at a better price, and with better customer service than my local farm store.