SmartStep™ Poultry Feeders
Treadle-action poultry feeder reduces feed waste by keeping songbirds and rodents out.
- Stop small rodents and songbirds from eating your feed
- Feed stays dry and protected
- Reduces wasted feed
- Pre-assembled! Simply adjust tension spring to match birds' weight
The chicken’s weight on the roost activates the hinged door allowing access. When the bird leaves, the door closes.
WHILE SUPPLIES LAST! All sales are final, no returns.
- Stop rats, mice, wild birds and other small pests from eating your poultry feed
- Feed stays dry and protected in most weather conditions
- Side window allows for visual check of feed level. Lid opens toward back of feeder for filling.
- Recessed trough design and lip reduces wasted feed. Birds can’t reach in and scratch out feed.
- Roost is elevated 1.75" above the ground, which allows more manure to fall through, rather than collect and bind operation.
- Treadle can be adjusted for birds’ weight. Choose from 0.5 lbs, 1.10 lbs and 1.65 lbs settings.
|Feeds Up To*
|2 hens at once
|2 hens at once
|2 hens at once
|13 lb (6 kg)
|26 lb (12 kg)
|66 lb (30 kg)
* Number Fed is determined by capacity multiplied by 4 oz (amount of feed the average adult chicken eats per day).
How to Use
To train chickens how to use the treadle, put a stone or weight on the footplate. It may be helpful to keep the stone in place for a day or two, this way the birds will discover where the food is.
- Chickens need to be trained to feeders. Select a trainee and place them on the roost to activate the door. They will see the feed and recognize that this is the place to be fed.
- Allow room under roosts. As manure and bedding accumulates, doors will not be able to open fully. Either hang the feeder or periodically clear bedding and manure. Partially open doors have the potential to scrape the combs of large combed birds.
- Because the feed lands far back in the feeder, we do not recommend its use with waterfowl.
- Use coarsely ground feeds for optimal feed flow in humid conditions (the same with all high capacity feeders). High concentrations of fines (powder) in feed bind easily when moisture is present (stopping feed flow).
Periodically check and remove accumulated build-up from underneath the footplate to allow proper operation.
Roosters with large combs may drag their combs on the edges of the door, creating minor cuts. We suggest looking to other style of feeders for your roosters.
Some bantam varieties may not be tall enough to reach feed low in the trough.
Not for use around small chicks. They may become trapped inside the feeder.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Cheri B from Louisiana
I love these feeders! The large capacity is a time saver for our farm and the hens easily figured out how to access the food. The product is sturdily constructed and easy to install. We had to use the lightest setting for our hens, but changing the setting is a cinch. I will be buying more as the flock grows.
Regina P from Florida
Sturdy. It took a few days for the chickens to start using it but no feed on the floor of the chicken house!
Denise H from Maryland
Going to see about returning this. Bought it due to squirrel issue I have getting into my chicken feeder. Well the squirrels take out the plastic pieces which one can see the level of feed remaining. Also, my chickens don’t get that have to step on it to eat. I’ve tried showing them.
Summary: The squirrels are too smart and my chickens are too dumb.
Lila H from Massachusetts
Unfortunately in less than 24 hours the squirrels figured out how to pry the plastic discs off and eat from the side while our chickens still hadn’t understood to press the lever to get the feed. A chicken proof rodent feeder!
Allison H from Washington
The rats and mice learned quick how to get in. Did not work for more than a day to keep them out. Sadly it was a waste of money.