SmartStep™ Poultry Feeders
Treadle-action poultry feeder reduces feed waste by keeping songbirds and rodents out.
- Stop small rodents and songbirds from eating your feed
- Feed stays dry and protected
- Reduces wasted feed
- Pre-assembled! Simply adjust tension spring to match birds' weight
The chicken’s weight on the roost activates the hinged door allowing access. When the bird leaves, the door closes.
- Stop rats, mice, wild birds and other small pests from eating your poultry feed
- Feed stays dry and protected in most weather conditions
- Side window allows for visual check of feed level. Lid opens toward back of feeder for filling.
- Recessed trough design and lip reduces wasted feed. Birds can’t reach in and scratch out feed.
- Roost is elevated 1.75" above the ground, which allows more manure to fall through, rather than collect and bind operation.
- Treadle can be adjusted for birds’ weight. Choose from 0.5 lbs, 1.10 lbs and 1.65 lbs settings.
|Feeds Up To*||2 hens at once||2 hens at once||2 hens at once||4 hens at once|
|Feed Capacity||13 lb (6 kg)||26 lb (12 kg)||66 lb (30 kg)||88 lb (40 kg)|
* Number Fed is determined by capacity multiplied by 4 oz (amount of feed the average adult chicken eats per day).
How to Use
To train chickens how to use the treadle, put a stone or weight on the footplate. It may be helpful to keep the stone in place for a day or two, this way the birds will discover where the food is.
- Chickens need to be trained to feeders. Select a trainee and place them on the roost to activate the door. They will see the feed and recognize that this is the place to be fed.
- Allow room under roosts. As manure and bedding accumulates, doors will not be able to open fully. Either hang the feeder or periodically clear bedding and manure. Partially open doors have the potential to scrape the combs of large combed birds.
- Because the feed lands far back in the feeder, we do not recommend its use with waterfowl.
- Use coarsely ground feeds for optimal feed flow in humid conditions (the same with all high capacity feeders). High concentrations of fines (powder) in feed bind easily when moisture is present (stopping feed flow).
Periodically check and remove accumulated build-up from underneath the footplate to allow proper operation.
Roosters with large combs may drag their combs on the edges of the door, creating minor cuts. We suggest looking to other style of feeders for your roosters.
Some bantam varieties may not be tall enough to reach feed low in the trough.
Not for use around small chicks. They may become trapped inside the feeder.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Marilyn A from Illinois
Finally a feeder that keeps the rodents and birds from getting the ladie's food. It will quickly more than pay for itself in the savings from wasted feed. This is wonderful feeder and it holds an entire bag of feed.
Kristofer T from Washington
I am very satisfied with the SmartStep chicken feeder. The two main and important features this feeder has are:
1) Feed wastage is eliminated because the construction is all metal. By eliminating the plastic parts, it stops rodents from boring through the trough.
2) The feed trough is deeply recessed which also reduces wastage that other treadle feeders do not address.
I have only had the feeder for two days, but so far I am very happy with it. Already I have seen that food wastage is eliminated, which was a daily chore to take care of. I also like the variable adjustment for the step which allows the birds to easily access the feed trough. I really like this design and the price is to my liking as well.
Thank you very much for an excellent solution. I would recommend this product to anyone without reservation.