Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle
By Heather Smith Thomas. Foreword by Baxter Black, DVM.
This definitive handbook will help both beginners and experienced livestock owners. Whether you want to raise one or two animals or run a full-scale beef production operation, this book has the information you need, including how to:
- Prepare comfortable, low-maintenance facilities
- Breed and calve for specific genetic attributes
- Remedy illnesses and maintain herd health
- Handle herds humanely
- Market your cattle business
Why? Because they focus on fundamentals, have many illustrations and data, are not so long that they're offputting and are written in "laymen's language" for USA conditions by authors respected in their industry. Once you have a "Storey" sense of a species you can move to other books that address more specific aspects.
- Breeds and Genetics: An Overview
- Handling and Behavior of Beef Cattle
- Issues in Buying and Selling
- General Guidelines for Raising Beef Cattle
- Pasture, Fencing, Facilities
- Feeding Cattle
- Keeping Cattle Healthy
- Growing and Breeding Heifers
- Care of the Pregnant Cow
- Care of the Newborn Calf
- Calf Health
- Weaning the Calf
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.