The Independent Farmstead Book
New! In witty and welcoming style, The Independent Farmstead covers everything from choosing a species of ruminant and incorporating it into a grass-based system to innovative electric fencing and watering systems, to what to do with all of the milk, meat, and, yes, manure that the self-sustaining farm produces.
In-depth information on:
- Electric Fencing
- Husbandry for ruminants, poultry and pigs, plus butchering, dairying and more
- Find and improve poor, waste, or abused land and develop its natural water resources;
- Select and purchase the appropriate ruminant for regenerating your farmstead;
- Apply fencing strategies and pasture management basics;
- Implement basic, uncomplicated food processing, including large and small animal butchering and cheese making; and
- Integrate grass, gardens, and livestock to minimize or eliminate the need for off-farm inputs.
- by Shawn & Beth Dougherty
- Foreward by Joel Salatin
- 322 pp, softcover
- 8"L x 1"W x 10"H
2024 New ProductsItem #819633 -
Milk stanchion for dairies and small hobby farms. Headpieces (horned or polled) securely hold goats for milking. Converts easily to a trimming stand.$648.00
FencingItem #207028 -
Contain and protect your chickens in the backyard or on the pasture with this complete fence system. Effective for all types of poultry. 48" tall.$539.80
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Charity M from Georgia
Well written, thorough, extensive but basic enough to understand. Complex enough for the experienced homesteader to learn more. Not just another homesteading book. Add this to your resource library.