X Tag Applicator
- 11.5" long
- Metal alloy is very strong
- Made by Hauptner
- Installs 7X Tags. Also installs 2X, 5X and button tags (which we no longer sell)
How to Use
- Place the female part of the tag completely under the spring fingers. The numbers will be down and the tag will be extending away from the tagger. Slide the male tag over the metal pin. The numbers will be up and the tag will extend away from the tagger.
- Before you try to insert the tag into the ear, gently squeeze the applicator together to ensure that both the male and female tags are in alignment.
- Place the ear between the jaws of the applicator, positioning the male tag on the back side of the ear. Make sure the tag is correctly placed.
- While gripping the ear quickly and firmly at the proposed position of the tag, place the point of the tag in contact with the ear close to your thumb. This allows you to feel the vein therefore avoiding it. Completely close the applicator until the tag is inserted through the ear and the female side of the tag.
Tag placement is critical to success!For maximum retention and the lowest risk of bleeding and infection, place ear tags in either of the two spots shown in the illustration below. The goal is about 2-3 inches from the head of the animal.
TIP: Inserting Tags in Cold Weather
Plastic tags (all brands) are much easier to install if they are warm. Why? As the temperature drops below freezing, plastic becomes less flexible (more stiff). Forcing the male point of a tag through the female takes many more lbs. of pressure (because the female must expand).
So if you care about your hands it’s a good idea to keep the tags above freezing in very cold weather. It takes very little to do this. One method is to simply store them while tagging in a small bucket, cardboard box or tool box with a lid alongside a sealed pop bottle full of warm water. The warm water will keep both the air and the tags warmer in the container.
Remove adaptor when inserting 2X or 7X TamperProof Tags.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.