The Small Scale Poultry Flock Book
Includes extensive information on:
- Formulating and making your own feed.
- How to breed and brood the flock (for breed improvement and for genetic conservation), including the most complete guide to working with broody hens available anywhere.
- Providing more of the flock's feed from sources grown or self-foraged on the home place, including production of live protein feeds using earthworms and soldier grubs.
- Using poultry to increase soil fertility, control crop-damaging insects, and make compost—including systems for pasturing and tillage of cover crops and weeds.
- Step-by-step butchering—one of the best guides available—complete with extensive illustrative photos.
No other book on raising poultry takes an entirely whole-systems approach, nor discusses producing homegrown feed and breeding in such detail. This is truly invaluable and groundbreaking guide that will lead farmers and homesteaders into a new world of self reliance and enjoyment.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Eric N from Midwest
I'm new to chickens, but I have read a healthy number of books, magazines, and online information in preparation for getting birds. This is hands down the best book I've read. I really like Storey's as a quick go to for information. However, this book is a comprehensive how-to for not only caring for birds, but putting them to work on your farm/acreage/backyard. Salatin is an excellent writer: concise, clear, and witty. I highly recommend this work.