NoShock™ Hen Pen
A lightweight, non-electrified net enclosure for chickens and other poultry. Best when used as a monitored day pen for adult birds and chicks. Allows you to move your flock to fresh grass quickly and easily. Features a built-in step-through gate.
Because this fence cannot be electrified, we recommend that you move your birds to a safe, secure location at night. NoShock™ Hen Pen will not stop predators.
For protection from predators, look to Shock-Or-Not™ Poultry Fence which can also be used a day pen for young birds.
- Keep supervised free-range flocks out of flower beds, gardens, patios, roadways, etc. Great for folks with backyard chickens.
- Keep in chicks and ducklings when they are too small to be contained by PoultryNet®.
- Install around the garden to put ducks on “slug-patrol”.
Poultry Net Fences Compared
- 48" tall installed
- Black nylon mesh
- Lower 16" of netting has small 1.75" spacings to reduce the likelihood of chicks escaping the paddock
- Upper 32" of netting has larger 4" spacings
- Fiberglass posts (1/2" dia.) are exceptionally stiff and feature offset double spikes: 4.5" and 3". Posts are not pre-installed.
- Step-through gate hardware is included
- Available in two lengths:
- 39 ft length—includes 6 double spike support posts, step-through gate, 4 corner tie backs and 16 tie-down stakes (used to anchor net)
- 68 ft length—includes 10 double spike support posts, step-through gate, 4 tie backs, and 24 tie-down stakes
How to Install
- Before installing line posts, stretch the net out in an open area. For best results, ensure posts are woven through the mesh using the same vertical columns.
- The white post caps come detached to allow you to easily weave the line posts into the net without snagging. If desired, an acrylic adhesive can be used to permanently secure them to the post.
- Many find building a circular pen easier than creating a square or rectangular space. Why? Because measured post spacings are not as critical. To begin, secure the first and last post together. Then create a small circular enclosure with the remaining posts. Progressively expand the circular area outward to add tension. For more support when using a circular enclosure, position the posts so the double-spike faces inward.
- When moving the pen, or for storage, walk along the fence, removing the posts from the soil and holding them in your hand in a tidy bundle. This allows the loose netting to fold together into pleats. After all posts have been collected, lay the netting onto the ground and roll up the folds towards the bundle of posts. (This “fold and then roll” process is very similar to our electrifiable nets.)
Consult the assembly instructions (linked above) for additional information.
For flighty birds, clip their flight feathers on one wing to prevent escape.
Rabbits, chipmunks, mice and other small critters may chew through the nonelectrified strings of the HenPen.
Poultry SuppliesItem #209035 -
These are replacement parts ONLY for the NoShock Hen Pen.$2.58
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Jamielynn S from Pennsylvania
Easy, convenient little movable pen. It threw me off at first because I'd expected it to come pre-assembled like the regular poultry netting, but once I read the instructions it was actually super quick and easy to set up. It's definitely not as strong as the regular poultry netting, but most of my adult birds are already trained to respect fencing so they seem to be pretty respectful of this as well even though it's not electrifiable. Should be perfect to make a movable enclosure inside the larger moving chicken yard so I can introduce mama hens and their broods back into the flock when the chicks are old enough.
John T from Texas
Right after I put it up, the two leg horn hens just flew over & two reds tried to fly but couldn’t but did squeeze through the bigger squares. I’m using it as a border fence not a square pen.
Mark R from Indiana
We just put up our Hen Pen and are very satisfied with it. Shipping was quick and product was as described. I was pleased to see that 4 guy wires and lots of camping stakes were included just in case they were needed!
Anna K from Mississippi
Perfect “safety net”! Keeps the little ladies from destroying my gardens. Going to buy a second one soon so I can expand and have a second entrance.
Phillip F from North Carolina
Perfect for what I needed. Provides a convenient way to give your chickens a moveable outdoor run. The gate feature is really great for easy in and out. We don’t have predators really so the no-shock cheaper option was perfect for my needs.