The PortaTrough 5 is long enough to enable rapid feeding or watering of animals, yet short enough that they can easily be carried by hand or ATV.
- Stackable feeder for easy transport and storage
- Difficult for sheep and goats to tip over
- Heavy-duty construction for on-farm use in all weather conditions
- Easy to clean
Need a smaller trough? See PortaTrough™ 3.
- Feed or water sheep, goats, livestock protection dogs, ducks, geese and poultry
- Difficult for animals to tip over
- Stackable (up to 10) for easy movement and storage
- Side handle allows it to be inverted with a toe to tip out water or ice
- Won’t crack if water freezes in it
- Shallow water depth allows waterfowl to bathe their heads and necks
- Feeds about 8 adult sheep in full fleece or 10 adult goats
- Rounded inner base discourages sheep and goats from standing in the feeder
- 8 gallon capacity
- Base: 60"L x 12.25"W
- Top: 58.5"L x 9.25"W
- Depth: 5.25"
- Made of polypropylene
- Do sheep or goats overturn them?
- Rarely, unless the animals have horns. (Our goats have hooked the side hole on occasion.)
- Can animals step in them?
- We designed the PortaTrough with a slick convex base so sheep and goats seldom step/stand in them.
- Do they fill up with water?
- They can. We drill a hole into the bottom of troughs intended to be used outside as feeders or mineral bunks.
- What happens when ice forms in the trough?
- The rounded base allows ice to expand upwards as it freezes. To remove ice—lift trough, tip over and tap on the bottom with your foot.
- Do they freeze down into mud?
- Yes. But a quick jar on the side with a boot heel usually frees them.
- Are PortaTroughs unbreakable?
- They don't break easily, but like most things they are breakable. We've proven that driving over them with tractors will break them—though ATVs rarely do. Cattle and horses do them no good. They are sheep, goat and waterfowl resistant.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Valerie H from Florida
This feeding trough solved a problem we were having with three pygmy goats where one is a bully at feeding time.
The trough is long and narrow enough to create plenty of space for each goat to get their share and to prevent the goats standing in the trough.
Very well made and super durable. Highly recommend!
Lonni D from Arkansas
This trough solved all our feeding problems with the goats wanting to fight over feed...very happy with purchase.
Gregory B from Utah
I'm using them for our pigs and they loved it! Also easy to clean up and move to a different place.
Laurie L from Wyoming
These troughs are great! They are easy to move and very durable.
Melanie F from Virginia
We ordered this hoping it would work to feed potbellys, but unfortunately it’s not wide enough for them to put their snouts in them. However, overall they are a great product and we can still use them for waterers.