Hoof Trimming and Care for Sheep and Goats
Many choices—because hoof or foot trimming circumstances vary:
- Large hands? You may like The “Premier”™.
- Small hands? You may prefer the ARS 140DXR & ExoTrim™.
- Animals with very hard or thick hooves? PowerParer® (large flocks) or Hoof Pincher (small flocks or herds).
- Most comfort? The ARS and ExoTrim are viewed by many as equally comfortable to use.
For treating scald and footrot…
Zinc Sulphate vs. Copper Sulphate vs. Formaldehyde?
- Zinc Sulphate (Premier FootCare)—we rely on it in a footbath for mass treating and preventing footrot and/or foot scald. Takes longer exposure time (10 min.) to “work” than other options.
- Copper Sulphate—effective and quick. Corrodes metal gates and even the nails and screws in wooden gates. Thus we use it only for topical treatments like FootCure™.
- Formaldehyde—kills bacteria rapidly. Can make hooves brittle. Poses serious health risks to human and animal skin (particularly eye tissue).