Apache Shearing Comb
- 9 tooth
- 3.6 mm thick. Similar to Super 9 or Mach 9
- Medium bevels
- 92 mm wide
- Fits any 3" shearing head
How to Use
Storing the Clipper/Shearer, Blades, Combs & Cutters
- Remove blades/combs/cutters from clipper or shearer.
- Clean blades/combs/cutters immediately after use by using a small brush or blowing off any excess dirt or hair. Cover with oil to reduce risk of rust. High carbon steel clipper blades will rust overnight. Rust destroys both edge and polished surface of blades.
- Store clipper/shearer and blades away from solvents, chemicals and moisture. Never leave them where they can be damaged by accidental impact. (We offer a storage box and wool felt for the blades and a case for the clippers.)
- To reproduce the quality of the cutting edge on the clipper blades that came from the factory, a lapping machine must be used. Most other methods are, in our experience, inferior. In addition to producing a cutting edge that won’t last, some methods can permanently damage blades. The most common “culprit” is using large high speed grinding wheels that are used to sharpen cutters and combs.
- Who uses lapping machines and who does not? Premier does and you can ship them to us. Other firms also use systems/machines that work well.
Warning: Clipper blades/cutters/combs that have been sharpened by inferior methods or inexperienced people may be damaged to such an extent that they can never be restored to a satisfactory cutting capability. The same is true of blades that have become too heavily pitted by rust.
- Make sure the comb & cutter are on as described in the instructions.
- Make sure the comb name can be read on outside when placed on head.
- Make sure to have 1/8" space from end of comb (bevel) to tip of cutter.
- Make sure the edge of the cutter does not go over the side of the comb.
- Make sure the tension is set correctly.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Resharpening ServiceItem #868600 -
Resharpen your blades, combs or cutters. Rapid turnaround, precision finish, low cost! Custom-engraving available.$1.50
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
good to have
Dalton B from Virginia
I've used these 9 tooth combs to shear for a few years, they allow for more speed and stay sharp longer. It is important to be careful with these and I don't recommend shearing bucks with them.
Stephen B from Utah
I find that the Apache Searing Comb does the very best job shearing thick Icelandic wool.
Tara F from NY
We had to shear 5 ewes that had been left to run wild (not shorn for 2-3 years, in a field full of burdock and multiflora rose) and this was the only comb we could get through the worst of these fleeces. I can totally see how it would give you a lot more speed once you get comfortable with shearing. But watch out when you are just starting out because this comb is quite a bit bigger and sharper than the Phantom R comb we started out with.
Daniel B from Oregon
Good comb if you've got the skill to avoid cutting the sheep. I started out with the Spirit, and have moved up to the Apache and my times have greatly improved. Premier has the best prices out there for cutters and combs.