Chickens have become the mascot of the local food movement. A desire for sustainable, clean, wholesome food and superior soil quality has led more and more suburban and city dwellers to keep laying hens in their backyards and gardens. Across America municipalities are allowing, and even encouraging, residents to keep laying hens within city limits.
- Develop your own Chicken Have-More Plan.
- Have fresh, heart-healthy eggs, daily from your backyard home flock.
- Employ your chickens' skill sets as garden workers, organic pesticiders, herbiciders, fertilizers, compost creators and top soil enhancers.
- Become a chicken whisperer. Save millions of tax payer dollars by using chickens to divert food and yard waste from landfills and waste management systems.
- Be a Primary Poultry Health Care Practitioner to save on vet bills. The Poultry's Pharmacy shows you how to make and use effective, inexpensive home treatments.
- Draft and pass local laws allowing laying hens within your town or city.
- Avoid roosters and why you don't want them.
- Do much, much more with chickens than you ever thought possible, including outrageous chicken tricks.
- Have built urban chicken tractors, hen huts, condos and chicken chateaus to blend in with neighborhood landscape and architecture.
- Join in urban eco-agri-tourism with annual coop & garden home tours for fund raising.
- Start or join local poultry clubs.
- Keep small flocks to help preserve endangered breeds of chickens.
- Draft and pass local laws allowing laying hens within their town's limits.