Ground rods receive and carry the energizer's pulse from the soil back to the energizers.
The ground system is an essential component of any electric fence. Ground rods guide the pulse from the soil, back into the energizer. The larger the pulse or higher the resistance of the soil (because it’s dry, sandy, or rocky), the more ground rods that are needed to collect the electrons from the soil.
- Galvanized coating. Better than copper because copper is more likely to corrode, resulting in poor connections.
- 6 ft - 5/8" diameter and no head
- 3 ft - 1/2" in diameter and has a head on one end
How to Use
- Energizers—allow 3 ft of rod per joule of energy released (use 3 ft rods for smaller energizers and lightning diverters. Use multiple 6 ft rods for large energizers).
- Make sure to put the ground rod all the way into the ground.
- To attach insulated wire, make an elongated "U" in the wire.
- Put the "U" against the rod and put the stainless steel ground rod clamp around it. Tighten.
- Allow 3 ft of ground rod per joule of energy output
- Space 3 ft rods at least 5 ft apart
- Space 6 ft rods at least 10 ft apart
- In dry/sandy soil—use ground rods long enough to reach moist soil
- Make sure to have the ground rod all the way into the ground
- Make sure you have a good connection to the ground rod
- Make sure to have a good connection on the energizer and fence
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Jeffrey C from Minnesota
6' rod is the perfect size for driving into the ground. I was able to use my T-post driver most of the way, then a sledge hammer for the rest. Rod seems good and I’ve got a solid acre enclosed with full power even at the furthest points.
Clay T from Colorado
Worked great and our soil is HARD. You tap 'em in using the cap. You don't drive them in. Cap lasted through two packages and is still intact.
Fred G from Texas
I ordered a bunch of stuff, but haven’t set it up yet. However, I was impressed with the people I dealt with at Premier, and the accuracy of the order. It was well packed, and everything was there. I got an order from Amazon the same day, and it was only 50% right. So far/so good.
Matthew N from Pennsylvania
Yes, this did the trick. I wasn't getting enough spark from my poultry net, pounded one of these into the ground, and voila! It should be noted that as all the local hardware and tractor stores are out of galvanized rods. Premier 1 had them in stock and they arrived within 2-3 days. Thank you for excellent products and service!
Peggy W from Virginia
Just what I needed and less expensive then the local farm store.