Solar IntelliShock® 30 Energizer & Kit
Solar powered 0.30 joule energizer. Portable all-in-one unit arrives ready to power electric fence or netting.
IntelliShock® electric fence chargers are able to reduce energy demand when the fence’s voltage is high–due to fewer weeds touching the fence. This occurs in fall and winter for most fences and occurs all year for some horse, cattle and deer fences. As a result, an IntelliShock unit’s battery is more likely to remain charged through the low sunlight days of autumn and winter.
Note: Kit includes a Digital Tester (for testing fence voltage and 12V battery voltage.)
Can also be used for protecting poultry, sheep and goats.
Solar powered energizers are a popular choice when 110V power is not easily accessible. Attached solar panel will recharge the battery on sunny days.
- External 110V adapter port for faster plug-in connections for recharging.
- Solar panel is easy to adjust for seasonal light availability.
- Included step-in ground stake can also be used to support energizer.
- Easily accessible fence and ground terminals. Fence and ground wiring harness included.
- External 110V port allows the energizer to be operated without a battery and plugged into a 110V power source.
- Large capacity battery for increased life during long periods with low sunlight.
- Highly visible on/off light with low battery indicator.
- Won’t rust. Made from durable UV-treated polycarbonate.
Solar IntelliShock® — Key Differences
IntelliShock® 120 & 120X
|Solar Panel||5 watt||10 watt||10 watt
20 watt (120X)
|Battery (Lead Acid)||12V 12Ah||12V 12Ah||(2) 12V 12Ah||12V 35Ah|
|12V DC Draw||15–29 mA||20–58 mA||28–104 mA||24–140 mA|
|Should power…*||1–2 rolls||3–5 rolls||6–10 rolls||9–15 rolls|
- 0.30 joule fence energizer
- 12V 12Ah sealed lead acid battery
- Wiring harness
- 5 watt solar panel with preset tilt angles
- Overcharge regulator
- 110V battery recharger
- U-Spike ground stake (combination ground rod and support stand)
- UV-treated, polycarbonate case with yellow handle
Note: Kit includes all of the above and a Fence & Battery Digital Tester.
Note: The U-Spike ground stake is shipped inside the energizer case. The wiring harness, battery recharger and user manual are included in the cardboard shipping box.
- 0.40 stored joules
- 0.30 output joules
- Use included ground U-Spike or use at least a 1' galvanized ground rod.
- Draw from a 12V battery is 15–29 milliampere (mA) per hour, depending on weed load.
- 40 pulses per minute.
- When properly used or stored, the battery should last 3-4 years. (Assumes maximum 40% draw down on battery.)
- 1–2 rolls of electric netting depending on soil conditions and vegetation.
- 1/2 mile of 3 strand cattle fence.
- 1/4 mile of 5–7 strand sheep fence.
How to Use
Using 10mm wrench, remove the bolts holding the solar panel in place and replace with the supplied knobs (shipped inside the unit).
Step in the ground U-Spike. For added support, you can slide the energizer onto top of U-Spike.
Use the wiring harness to connect the energizer to the ground stake and fence.
- Unscrew the red terminal knob.
- Secure the bare end of the wire with the orange clip into the pre-drilled hole behind the red terminal knob.
- Replace the red terminal knob and tighten.
- Repeat steps #1–3 for the black ground terminal.
- Connect the black clip to the ground stake.
- Connect the orange clip to the fence.
- Turn energizer on. (When switching on, make sure the power button is pressed all the way in.)
- Check the voltage to ensure the fence is properly electrified before introducing animals.
Optimal Solar Orientation and Placement
Correct placement of the energizer and solar panel is critical to the best operation of the unit.
1. Position the energizer so that the solar panel faces due south. This will allow the panel to receive the maximum amount of sunlight possible even during the low-light days of winter. Consider the sun’s movement throughout the day and avoid placing the unit where it may be covered by shadows from trees, bushes or tall grass.
2. Determine the correct tilt angle for the solar panel. The sun’s position above the horizon will change from season to season. As a general recommendation, an angle of 50° is optimal for the longest use in most areas of the continental USA. However, the ability of the solar panel to recharge the battery can be maximized by making angle adjustments each season as shown in the illustrations below.
In the far northern USA from November until February, there may not be enough hours of sunlight to fully recharge the battery. Charge the battery externally when the battery indicator light flashes green/red or red.
3. Regularly remove all debris from the solar panel. This includes grass clippings, dust (especially on gravel roads), leaves and snow as this will reduce the solar panel’s ability to recharge the battery.
- Make sure the power is turned off before working on the fence or the energizer.
- Make sure the fence line is clear of grass and debris that may lower the fence’s voltage.
- Ensure the solar panel is facing due south and avoid placing the unit where it may be covered by shadows from trees, bushes or tall grass.
- Regularly remove all debris from the solar panel.
- Batteries that are less than 40% charged may become damaged. Batteries MUST remain fully charged in freezing conditions.
To Reduce Risk & Liability
- Never place your head or upper spine near an electrified wire. Accidental head or neck contact can occur when pushing a voltage probe into the soil. Be careful when doing so to avoid head-to-wire contact!
- Never attempt to step over or climb through an energized fence of any kind.
- Never encourage anyone to touch an electric fence.
Start by measuring the voltage at the end of the fence line. If the voltage is below 3000V, follow these steps to determine if the problem is with the fence, or the energizer.
Test the energizer first!
- Turn off the energizer.
- Disconnect the wires going to the fence and ground stake/rod.
- Turn the energizer back on.
- Measure the voltage on the energizer between the two terminals (positive and negative) with a digital voltmeter or other high-voltage tester. Touch one end to “-“ (earth terminal) and the other end to “+” (fence terminal). The reading tells you how well the energizer is working without any other variables.
- If the tester reads below 5000V, then the energizer (or possibly the battery) is the problem. If the voltage is above 5000V, then the trouble lies with your fence.
If the fence is at fault:
- Conductors touching another wire, steel post or the soil
- Broken or damaged insulators
Tips to preserve battery life:
- Turn off the unit. Disconnecting the unit from the fence is not sufficient, the unit will still pulse unless it is turned off.
- Clean off the solar panel. Dust and debris may have accumulated during use and as a result prevents the panel from maximum electrical production.
- When the energizer is not being used, store the unit indoors at room temperature and out of the sun. Do not let the energizer sit in the sun for an extended period when it is turned OFF as this could damage the battery.
- When not in use, ensure the battery stays above 40% charged. Lead acid batteries don’t work well when they’re left discharged, or at a low charge, for long periods of time. Periodically recharge the battery in the sun or with the included 110V charging unit. Stop charging when the battery indicator light flashes GREEN. Do not overcharge the battery.
30-day warranty for all batteries.
Fence Connectors and AccessoriesItem #1132006 -
For use with IntelliShock® and HotShock® fence energizers. Recharges depleted batteries or operates the energizer as a 110V unit when near an outlet.$26.80
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Patricia H from North Carolina
Works really well. I worried first because I live in the forest with not much of sun. It gets about 4 hours sun a day and it works day and night.
Robert T from Wisconsin
Very well built and solid. Constructed to keep water out. Easy access to the battery. Being able to charge the battery is a plus for Spring start up. The new design ground stake is great for quick set up and portability. This is our second Premier brand fence charger we have in use. We won't be buying the competition's anymore.
Dan O from Virginia
I called Premier1 Supply after a fox got into my portable pasture pens and got 15+ chickens. They recommended the Solar IntelliShock® 30 Energizer Kit. After ordering, it was promptly shipped and received. I installed the insulators, wire, and energizer in less then 30 minutes. It's worked great. Fox came around the following night (caught on deer camera) and hasn't been seen since. Great product. Easy install. Highly recommend.
Bonnie F from California
Great product! Installs quickly with the fence (PermaNet Plus 12/48/3 with two-pronged feet) and the green color disappears into the background of the pasture. Goats, mini donkeys and llamas respect it. Solar electric unit ready to go on delivery and easy to install.
Rob I from Massachusetts
Easy to set up and enough zap for one 164' roll.