Heavy-duty 3 ft feeders used to provide grain, minerals, salt or water to animals. Portable for easy movement and stackable for storage.
- Excellent all-purpose trough for small barnyard animals. Also works well for providing feed or water to waterfowl.
- Compact size allows PortaTrough™ 3 to be used in a small pen of show lambs or goat kids
- Won’t crack if water freezes in it
- Easy to clean
Need a larger trough? See PortaTrough™ 5.
- Feed or water sheep, goats, livestock guardian dogs, ducks, geese and poultry
- Difficult for animals to tip over
- Stackable (up to 10) for easy movement and storage
- Side handle allows it to be inverted with a toe to tip out water or ice
- Shallow water depth allows waterfowl to bathe their heads and necks
- Rounded inner base discourages sheep and goats from standing in the feeder
- 4.5 gallon capacity
- Base: 34"L x 12.25"W
- Top: 32.25"L x 10"W
- Depth: 5.25"
- Made of polypropylene
- Do sheep or goats overturn them?
- Rarely, unless the animals have horns. (Our goats have hooked the side hole on occasion.)
- Can animals step in them?
- We designed the PortaTrough with a slick surface and convex base so sheep and goats seldom step/stand in them.
- Do they fill up with water?
- They can. We drill a hole into the bottom of troughs intended to be used outside as feeders or mineral bunks.
- What happens when ice forms in the trough?
- The rounded base allows ice to expand upwards as it freezes. To remove ice—lift trough, tip over and tap on the bottom with your foot.
- Do they freeze down into mud?
- Yes. But a quick jar on the side with a boot heel usually frees them.
- Are PortaTroughs unbreakable?
- They don't break easily, but like most things they are breakable. We've proven that driving over them with tractors will break them—though ATVs rarely do. Cattle and horses do them no good. They are sheep, goat and waterfowl resistant.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Ann P from Western Washington State
I bought this for all of our wild critters that we feed. The handle makes it very easy to carry, it is deeper than I thought, but it is working out really well. I do have concern about rain since it is outside, but we will see what happens. Very sturdy. The squirrels have not been able to tip it over! The cutest thing so far has been one of the wild bunnies sitting it the trough eating. SOOO CUTE!
Easy to use, easy to clean, keeps the poultry happy.
I bought one of these, and liked it so much I went back and bought another. I have an "accidental" pet duck in my laying flock of chickens, and I was looking for something easier to keep clean and sturdier than a kiddie pool.
Not only does Bernadette The Weather Duck® (she has her own Facebook fan page, silly thing!) love the troughs, but the chickens do, also.
And, as usual, great service from the team at P1. Love your products, and your catalog is Victoria's Secret for hobby farmers. Can't wait to have room for goats.
Chickens are gateway livestock, aren't they?
I have the older style of these. These have got to be one of the best, toughest feeders on the market. I love these! Really handy, light weight, portable... and SUPER durable!!! Hold up to being "moved around" by the livestock, freezing weather, being stepped in, banging them to remove snow, ice, etc. Drill tiny holes in them if you want to keep them outside all the time, for rain to drain out easily. These are one of the few feeders I've had that have held up against the stuff dished out by big rams, and overly eager ewes, etc. Lambs will step in them alot, but overall, the sheep don't like to step in them too much. Very easy to clean. I'd highly recommend them if you have various pens, paddocks or pastures where you have to feed a variety of animals in separate enclosures. You won't be disappointed in this product.