The PortaTrough 5 is long enough to enable rapid feeding or watering of animals, yet short enough that they can easily be carried by hand or ATV.
- Stackable feeder for easy transport and storage
- Difficult for sheep and goats to tip over
- Heavy-duty construction for on-farm use in all weather conditions
- Easy to clean
Need a smaller trough? See PortaTrough™ 3.
- Feed or water sheep, goats, livestock protection dogs, ducks, geese and poultry
- Difficult for animals to tip over
- Stackable (up to 10) for easy movement and storage
- Side handle allows it to be inverted with a toe to tip out water or ice
- Won’t crack if water freezes in it
- Shallow water depth allows waterfowl to bathe their heads and necks
- Feeds about 8 adult sheep in full fleece or 10 adult goats
- Rounded inner base discourages sheep and goats from standing in the feeder
- 8 gallon capacity
- Base: 60"L x 12.25"W
- Top: 58.5"L x 9.25"W
- Depth: 5.25"
- Made of polypropylene
- Do sheep or goats overturn them?
- Rarely, unless the animals have horns. (Our goats have hooked the side hole on occasion.)
- Can animals step in them?
- We designed the PortaTrough with a slick convex base so sheep and goats seldom step/stand in them.
- Do they fill up with water?
- They can. We drill a hole into the bottom of troughs intended to be used outside as feeders or mineral bunks.
- What happens when ice forms in the trough?
- The rounded base allows ice to expand upwards as it freezes. To remove ice—lift trough, tip over and tap on the bottom with your foot.
- Do they freeze down into mud?
- Yes. But a quick jar on the side with a boot heel usually frees them.
- Are PortaTroughs unbreakable?
- They don't break easily, but like most things they are breakable. We've proven that driving over them with tractors will break them—though ATVs rarely do. Cattle and horses do them no good. They are sheep, goat and waterfowl resistant.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Lori M from Florida
I really like this trough. I use it to feed my sheep. I have also used one to water the pigs that we have weaned
My first order arrived with one cracked trough. Premier replaced it right away. Great company and great customer service. I will be a repeat customer. Very happy with products and service. Thanks
Made feeding my goats much easier. Very stable and easy to clean. Light weight and easy to move around as well. Prompt delivery.
We love these feeders! They are no trouble to maintain and can be hauled anywhere on the farm in any weather. Our lambs and our ewes -- in two separate groups -- will eat more peaceably if there is more room for all of them, so we have one more feeder than minimum for each group. Then no pushing and shoving. Our old ones have lasted for years.
Stephanie L from Michigan
It is a great, lighteright, sturdy feed trough. It is excellent for feeding my lambs and sheep.
Cheryl S from Georgia
Love,Love,Love these troughs. I ordered 2 then went back 6 months later and ordered 4 more. Very easy to move from pasture to pasture. Can also empty rain water from them with one foot. Very durable and light weight.I have not had the sheep to turn one over as of yet. I am feeding 50+ sheep from them and probably need more. Have been using them for 2 years now and still going strong.