The PortaTrough 5 is long enough to enable rapid feeding or watering of animals, yet short enough that they can easily be carried by hand or ATV.
- Stackable feeder for easy transport and storage
- Difficult for sheep and goats to tip over
- Heavy-duty construction for on-farm use in all weather conditions
- Easy to clean
Need a smaller trough? See PortaTrough™ 3.
- Feed or water sheep, goats, livestock protection dogs, ducks, geese and poultry
- Difficult for animals to tip over
- Stackable (up to 10) for easy movement and storage
- Side handle allows it to be inverted with a toe to tip out water or ice
- Won’t crack if water freezes in it
- Shallow water depth allows waterfowl to bathe their heads and necks
- Feeds about 8 adult sheep in full fleece or 10 adult goats
- Rounded inner base discourages sheep and goats from standing in the feeder
- 8 gallon capacity
- Base: 60"L x 12.25"W
- Top: 58.5"L x 9.25"W
- Depth: 5.25"
- Made of polypropylene
- Do sheep or goats overturn them?
- Rarely, unless the animals have horns. (Our goats have hooked the side hole on occasion.)
- Can animals step in them?
- We designed the PortaTrough with a slick convex base so sheep and goats seldom step/stand in them.
- Do they fill up with water?
- They can. We drill a hole into the bottom of troughs intended to be used outside as feeders or mineral bunks.
- What happens when ice forms in the trough?
- The rounded base allows ice to expand upwards as it freezes. To remove ice—lift trough, tip over and tap on the bottom with your foot.
- Do they freeze down into mud?
- Yes. But a quick jar on the side with a boot heel usually frees them.
- Are PortaTroughs unbreakable?
- They don't break easily, but like most things they are breakable. We've proven that driving over them with tractors will break them—though ATVs rarely do. Cattle and horses do them no good. They are sheep, goat and waterfowl resistant.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Brian K from Maryland
We have been using these for two years on the road grazing and I just ordered two more. They hold up great even to rowdy goats and do not get pushed around like our other troughs.
Robert C from New Hampshire
These troughs work great, but don't last. I was very happy with this product for about 4 months, then my sheep knocked the bottoms out of all four (2 of the 5-footers and 2 of the 3-footers). With no bottoms, these troughs don't work well at all!
My sheep have no trouble flipping these over - as soon as they finish the grain, they flip them to get anything they spilled off the ground. Apparently a 200 pound sheep is heavy enough to break the bottom of these troughs when they are upside down.
I will not recommend this product, and I will not buy it again.
Olga B from North Carolina
Love, love, love these. Hate paying for shipping but in the long run we've decided these are worth it. Lite, wasy to move. easy to clean. work GREAT with our sheep!
Leon E from Florida
Love them. Expensive but worth every dollar.
Easy to carry, relatively light and prevents bullying in the herd, since everyone gets a spot to eat from. I have both this one and the smaller version. If you have more than 8 animals, get this one. GREAT!!!!