The PortaTrough 5 is long enough to enable rapid feeding or watering of animals, yet short enough that they can easily be carried by hand or ATV.
- Stackable feeder for easy transport and storage
- Difficult for sheep and goats to tip over
- Heavy-duty construction for on-farm use in all weather conditions
- Easy to clean
Need a smaller trough? See PortaTrough™ 3.
- Feed or water sheep, goats, livestock protection dogs, ducks, geese and poultry
- Difficult for animals to tip over
- Stackable (up to 10) for easy movement and storage
- Side handle allows it to be inverted with a toe to tip out water or ice
- Won’t crack if water freezes in it
- Shallow water depth allows waterfowl to bathe their heads and necks
- Feeds about 8 adult sheep in full fleece or 10 adult goats
- Rounded inner base discourages sheep and goats from standing in the feeder
- 8 gallon capacity
- Base: 60"L x 12.25"W
- Top: 58.5"L x 9.25"W
- Depth: 5.25"
- Made of polypropylene
- Do sheep or goats overturn them?
- Rarely, unless the animals have horns. (Our goats have hooked the side hole on occasion.)
- Can animals step in them?
- We designed the PortaTrough with a slick convex base so sheep and goats seldom step/stand in them.
- Do they fill up with water?
- They can. We drill a hole into the bottom of troughs intended to be used outside as feeders or mineral bunks.
- What happens when ice forms in the trough?
- The rounded base allows ice to expand upwards as it freezes. To remove ice—lift trough, tip over and tap on the bottom with your foot.
- Do they freeze down into mud?
- Yes. But a quick jar on the side with a boot heel usually frees them.
- Are PortaTroughs unbreakable?
- They don't break easily, but like most things they are breakable. We've proven that driving over them with tractors will break them—though ATVs rarely do. Cattle and horses do them no good. They are sheep, goat and waterfowl resistant.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Troy & Tracy H from Washington
My second order of the PortaTrough, first batch are going strong after 5 years of constant use, the second batch has only been here a week and I am already thinking I need to order more .
Miles M from Arkansas
We are very happy with this PortaTrough. As the name implies, it very simple to move from one pasture to another. Our sheep are grass fed but in times when we need to supplement, like during a drought, it's so nice to have this trough. It keeps the food off the ground, meaning less exposure to parasites and less waste.
Carolyn S from Kentucky
I purchased one to trial as a duck waterer. I am pleased that they don’t climb in it to swim as they do so many other waterers, but it is deep enough to allow them to properly dunk their heads to keep their sinuses clean and activate their preen gland. Solid construction. Even my big-footed clutz geese haven’t knocked it over.
Ann W from Maryland
I bought 2 of these hoping they would help me with feeding my sheep and allowing me to easily allow me to move them as needed. They are extremely easy to move and worked as I hoped they would.
Debbie B from Georgia
These are a great design and a good value! Easy to manage and clean. The sheep do not tip them over and cannot really stand in them-- a win!