The PortaTrough 5 is long enough to enable rapid feeding or watering of animals, yet short enough that they can easily be carried by hand or ATV.
- Stackable feeder for easy transport and storage
- Difficult for sheep and goats to tip over
- Heavy-duty construction for on-farm use in all weather conditions
- Easy to clean
Need a smaller trough? See PortaTrough™ 3.
- Feed or water sheep, goats, livestock protection dogs, ducks, geese and poultry
- Difficult for animals to tip over
- Stackable (up to 10) for easy movement and storage
- Side handle allows it to be inverted with a toe to tip out water or ice
- Won’t crack if water freezes in it
- Shallow water depth allows waterfowl to bathe their heads and necks
- Feeds about 8 adult sheep in full fleece or 10 adult goats
- Rounded inner base discourages sheep and goats from standing in the feeder
- 8 gallon capacity
- Base: 60"L x 12.25"W
- Top: 58.5"L x 9.25"W
- Depth: 5.25"
- Made of polypropylene
- Do sheep or goats overturn them?
- Rarely, unless the animals have horns. (Our goats have hooked the side hole on occasion.)
- Can animals step in them?
- We designed the PortaTrough with a slick convex base so sheep and goats seldom step/stand in them.
- Do they fill up with water?
- They can. We drill a hole into the bottom of troughs intended to be used outside as feeders or mineral bunks.
- What happens when ice forms in the trough?
- The rounded base allows ice to expand upwards as it freezes. To remove ice—lift trough, tip over and tap on the bottom with your foot.
- Do they freeze down into mud?
- Yes. But a quick jar on the side with a boot heel usually frees them.
- Are PortaTroughs unbreakable?
- They don't break easily, but like most things they are breakable. We've proven that driving over them with tractors will break them—though ATVs rarely do. Cattle and horses do them no good. They are sheep, goat and waterfowl resistant.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Wang Ling C from Louisiana
I should have bought this trough earlier. Sheep love it. There is no height so lambs can reach the feed easily as well. Most of all, there is no more feed waste.
Jeffery M from Texas
The troughs arrived early, packaging was excellent. I put them to use right away. Animals adjusted to eating out of them very easily.
Su W from Tennessee
I’m very happy with this purchase. It’s just the right size to feed 20 chickens and 2 goats a day’s worth of feed. It’s narrow and long, allowing more animals to feed at the same time. Totally worth the price!
Shawn N from Virginia
These troughs function pretty well. We have myotonics and cattle troughs were a bit too tall for the younger animals. These have had no issues with them being flipped or pushed. I may consider drilling some weep holes. One issue we do have is stepping in them, and have tried several different orientations and setups to try to limit stepping in and contamination. Some animals are worse offenders than others. Overall the quality seems good and we added several more of these to our feeding setup after the initial purchase.
Jeremy B from Texas
PortaTrough works great for my goat operation. No more steel troughs for me.