The PortaTrough 5 is long enough to enable rapid feeding or watering of animals, yet short enough that they can easily be carried by hand or ATV.
- Stackable feeder for easy transport and storage
- Difficult for sheep and goats to tip over
- Heavy-duty construction for on-farm use in all weather conditions
- Easy to clean
Need a smaller trough? See PortaTrough™ 3.
- Feed or water sheep, goats, livestock protection dogs, ducks, geese and poultry
- Difficult for animals to tip over
- Stackable (up to 10) for easy movement and storage
- Side handle allows it to be inverted with a toe to tip out water or ice
- Won’t crack if water freezes in it
- Shallow water depth allows waterfowl to bathe their heads and necks
- Feeds about 8 adult sheep in full fleece or 10 adult goats
- Rounded inner base discourages sheep and goats from standing in the feeder
- 8 gallon capacity
- Base: 60"L x 12.25"W
- Top: 58.5"L x 9.25"W
- Depth: 5.25"
- Made of polypropylene
- Do sheep or goats overturn them?
- Rarely, unless the animals have horns. (Our goats have hooked the side hole on occasion.)
- Can animals step in them?
- We designed the PortaTrough with a slick convex base so sheep and goats seldom step/stand in them.
- Do they fill up with water?
- They can. We drill a hole into the bottom of troughs intended to be used outside as feeders or mineral bunks.
- What happens when ice forms in the trough?
- The rounded base allows ice to expand upwards as it freezes. To remove ice—lift trough, tip over and tap on the bottom with your foot.
- Do they freeze down into mud?
- Yes. But a quick jar on the side with a boot heel usually frees them.
- Are PortaTroughs unbreakable?
- They don't break easily, but like most things they are breakable. We've proven that driving over them with tractors will break them—though ATVs rarely do. Cattle and horses do them no good. They are sheep, goat and waterfowl resistant.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Anika B from Saskatchewan, Canada
I purchased 7 of these troughs for feeding my dog sled team.
They are very durable against weathering and chewing and light enough to move and clean easily.
Allows my dogs to eat together without facing each other so there is no challenging and no fighting. Also has enough room to leave extra food for free feeding.
Would definitely recommend and purchase again in future.
Paul H from Texas
Simple, light, and works. Great value for the price.
Maje A from Texas
FANTASTIC, DURABLE troughs!
Judith L from Alabama
Quick delivery. We purchased two of these troughs or our mini goats and pigs and are very happy. Perfect height and quality made.
Sandy C from California
Love these troughs. We live in a very cold climate and they hold up to the extreme temps. I've never had one break and they are easy to clean.