The PortaTrough 5 is long enough to enable rapid feeding or watering of animals, yet short enough that they can easily be carried by hand or ATV.
- Stackable feeder for easy transport and storage
- Difficult for sheep and goats to tip over
- Heavy-duty construction for on-farm use in all weather conditions
- Easy to clean
Need a smaller trough? See PortaTrough™ 3.
- Feed or water sheep, goats, livestock protection dogs, ducks, geese and poultry
- Difficult for animals to tip over
- Stackable (up to 10) for easy movement and storage
- Side handle allows it to be inverted with a toe to tip out water or ice
- Won’t crack if water freezes in it
- Shallow water depth allows waterfowl to bathe their heads and necks
- Feeds about 8 adult sheep in full fleece or 10 adult goats
- Rounded inner base discourages sheep and goats from standing in the feeder
- 8 gallon capacity
- Base: 60"L x 12.25"W
- Top: 58.5"L x 9.25"W
- Depth: 5.25"
- Made of polypropylene
- Do sheep or goats overturn them?
- Rarely, unless the animals have horns. (Our goats have hooked the side hole on occasion.)
- Can animals step in them?
- We designed the PortaTrough with a slick convex base so sheep and goats seldom step/stand in them.
- Do they fill up with water?
- They can. We drill a hole into the bottom of troughs intended to be used outside as feeders or mineral bunks.
- What happens when ice forms in the trough?
- The rounded base allows ice to expand upwards as it freezes. To remove ice—lift trough, tip over and tap on the bottom with your foot.
- Do they freeze down into mud?
- Yes. But a quick jar on the side with a boot heel usually frees them.
- Are PortaTroughs unbreakable?
- They don't break easily, but like most things they are breakable. We've proven that driving over them with tractors will break them—though ATVs rarely do. Cattle and horses do them no good. They are sheep, goat and waterfowl resistant.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Gina M from West Virginia
I LOVE these feeders! Makes feeding my sheep and llamas so much easier. They can't stand in them or flip them over. Their design makes it easy for everyone to eat. Highly recommend!
Derick M from Kentucky
Used for a couple of weeks and they work great. Sheep have not turned them over and I have noticed when they try to step in it their feet slide and they quickly step back out because of the curved design of the trough. They are also very easy to move around. Good product to have.
Edward C from West Virginia
We have used the troughs for several years and have added to the collection more than once. Some were cosmetic blems when we purchased. We are still using all of them with no issues and I am now ordering more since our herd has grown (approximately 150 head).
Diane W from Florida
I like to feed my sheep their grain in different places so they don't destroy areas. The problem is you don't want to feed grain on the ground where poop and worms can be picked up and consumed by the sheep and donkey. I love these PortaTroughs! They are not heavy but durable and easy to kick back over after the donkey has upended them. The sheep cannot stand in them like they can the feed troughs so cannot pee/poop in them. I thought they were expensive but I'm thinking now they are worth every penny.
Lori M from Florida
I really like this trough. I use it to feed my sheep. I have also used one to water the pigs that we have weaned
My first order arrived with one cracked trough. Premier replaced it right away. Great company and great customer service. I will be a repeat customer. Very happy with products and service. Thanks