Spirit Shearing Comb
- Shearing sheep, llamas, alpacas
- Blocking sheep (blocking)
- 13 tooth
- 3.2 mm thick, 77 mm wide
- Similar to Heiniger's Ovina, Sunbeam's Pacer and Oster's P1082
- Fits any 3" shearing head
- Remove blades/combs/cutters from clipper or shearing machine.
- Clean blades/combs/cutters immediately after use by using a small brush or blowing off any excess dirt or hair. Cover with oil to reduce risk of rust. High carbon steel clipper blades will rust overnight. Rust will destroy both the edge and polished surface of blades.
- Store clipper/shearer and blades away from solvents, chemicals and moisture. Never leave them where they can be damaged by accidental impact.
Sharpening and Cleaning
- Premier offers an in-house resharpening service for all combs, cutters and blades. Rapid turnaround—most are sharpened within 24 hours.
- To reproduce the quality of the cutting edge on the clipper blades that came from the factory, a lapping machine must be used. Most other methods are, in our experience, inferior. In addition to producing a cutting edge that won’t last, some methods can permanently damage blades. The most common “culprit” is using large high speed grinding wheels that are used to sharpen cutters and combs.
Warning: Clipper blades/cutters/combs that have been sharpened by inferior methods or inexperienced people may be damaged to such an extent that they can never be restored to a satisfactory cutting capability. The same is true of blades that have become too heavily pitted by rust.
- Make sure the comb and cutter are on as described in the instructions.
- Make sure the comb name can be read on outside when placed on head.
- Make sure to have 1/8" space from end of comb bevel to tip of cutter.
- Make sure the edge of the cutter does not go over the side of the comb.
- Make sure the tension is set correctly.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Andrew E from Washington
I have a small flock of Black Welsh Mountain Sheep, and use the Spirit comb with a Spitfire cutter. Of the comb/cutter combinations I have used, this is the one I prefer because I can do a neater job and have fewer nicks. I saw that this comb was recommended for beginning shearers. Given the small size of my flock, I don’t need to quickly run through dozens of sheep. I’d rather do a good job and not injure them. I just ordered a second set so I don’t have to use a different combination when my first set gets dull.
Jason S from Arizona
Over 3 seasons I've switched out majority of my combs to these with the Spitfire cutters. Both are always sharp out of the bag and the metal holds a good edge and sharpen well. Excessive volcanic sand in some fleeces are hard on any cutters but these seem to work better than very expensive ones. Just know when to oil!
Leslie M from Kentucky
I’m new to shearing and called customer service to ask questions. I was advised to purchase the 4000s with the 20-tooth comb, but when I tried to shear my Shetland sheep, it would not cut at all! The teeth were way too close together to move through the wool. I called back and talked to a different customer representative who said a 20-tooth comb wouldn’t work, and I needed a 13-tooth comb. Sure wish I had that advice to begin with. When I used a 13-tooth come, the wool cut fine. So, this comb seems to be the popular choice for beginners, but beware that it might not cut through wool!
Sandra R from Kentucky
This comb is exactly what I needed. I also want to praise the customer service department. They helped me order replacement filters for my clippers. These were not online but they had them in stock. Two people helped locate the order number for me. This kind of service is what makes me rely upon Premier 1.
Andrew N from Ontario, Canada
We are extremely pleased with the Spirit comb as well as Premier’s service over the many years. The quality is very good!