- Works on all 13, 17, 20, 22, 23 tooth combs
- Fits Premier's 4000s or any 3" shearing head.
How to Use
Storing the Clipper/Shearer, Blades, Combs & Cutters
- Remove blades/combs/cutters from clipper or shearer.
- Clean blades/combs/cutters immediately after use by using a small brush or blowing off any excess dirt or hair. Cover with oil to reduce risk of rust. High carbon steel clipper blades will rust overnight. Rust destroys both edge and polished surface of blades.
- Store clipper/shearer and blades away from solvents, chemicals and moisture. Never leave them where they can be damaged by accidental impact. (We offer a storage box and wool felt for the blades and a case for the clippers.)
- To reproduce the quality of the cutting edge on the clipper blades that came from the factory, a lapping machine must be used. Most other methods are, in our experience, inferior. In addition to producing a cutting edge that won’t last, some methods can permanently damage blades. The most common “culprit” is using large high speed grinding wheels that are used to sharpen cutters and combs.
- Who uses lapping machines and who does not? Premier does and you can ship them to us. Other firms also use systems/machines that work well.
Warning: Clipper blades/cutters/combs that have been sharpened by inferior methods or inexperienced people may be damaged to such an extent that they can never be restored to a satisfactory cutting capability. The same is true of blades that have become too heavily pitted by rust.
- Make sure the comb & cutter are on as described in the instructions.
- Make sure the comb name can be read on outside when placed on head.
- Make sure to have 1/8" space from end of comb bevel to tip of cutter.
- Make sure the edge of the cutter does not go over the side of the comb.
- Make sure the tension is set correctly.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Resharpening ServiceItem #868600 -
Resharpen your blades, combs or cutters. Rapid turnaround, precision finish, low cost! Custom-engraving available.$1.50
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Christine S from Lancaster, PA
The Spitfire Cutter is by far the best cutter on the market. It holds an edge quite well and is super sharp. I've had these cutters sharpened year after year and they never disappoint. Much better value than some of the other brand cutters.
John M from MN
This an pretty much everything from Premier is great. But why can't I get a shipping quote at the time of order? I bought 10 plastic posts, 3 of these cutters and 2 combs. Total, $79. SHipping, $19. Could have bought more items for the same total money with the free shipping over $100. But I couldn't get a shipping estimate in real time..
Jill B from Hawaii
The Spitfire comb is economical and long lasting. On our flock of Hampshires and Suffolks we are able to get through 12-15 shears before needed to change blades. Keep them oiled and cleaned frequently and the cutter will remain sharp and cut clean even through the dirtiest of wool. When I first began buying the Spitfires, I would consistently buy too many. They sharpen well and stay sharp longer than all other cutters we have tried.
Terry S from california
Cutters worked great. I was able to shear 2 alpacas with one set of blades.
The cutter cuts very smoothly thru thick and dirty wool. Unfortunately they dull quite quickly when the wool is dirty. Make sure you change those cutters out as soon as they go dull or they could cause a shear malfunction. Trust me, it happened to me. Fortunately, Premier1 got me squared away and back to shearing sheep in no time. Overall, I am extremely pleased.