Wound Clips & Forceps
- 11mm - 0.43"L x 0.08"W x 0.12"H
- 14mm - 0.56"L x 0.12"W x 0.15"H
- 16mm - 0.63"L x 0.12"W x 0.15"H
How to Use
A few hints:
- There are about 100 clips in a package. Waste the first two to three by handling the forceps without the lamb so that you get a feel.
- When you try and do it on the first lamb you will drop another 2 clips and loose them in the straw, don't get frustrated. You have 100.
- Place the clip horizontal, not vertical. This is opposite of what you would think.
- Push toward the lamb as you are squeezing. Use force. You will not hurt the lamb.
- If the entropion isn't corrected, place another clip above or below. (this is important!!) It may take 2-3 clips to get the eyelid to lie correctly.
- The clip will fall out in 10-14 days and the eyelid will be normal.
- The first 4-5 that you do you will get frustrated. After 5 you will be able to do this in under 5 seconds.
Shepherd’s Choice™ Management TipWatery eyes in baby lambs are generally inverted eyelids and not pink eye. The hair of the eyelid is rubbing against and irritating the outside surface of the eye, making it water. The eyelids need to be corrected. I like to use metal wound clips. The clips are pinched together horizontally, not vertically as one would think. It is generally the bottom lid that is involved. I've seen lambs with watery eyes, depressed, head down, and standing around; fix the eyelid and they have been jumping and playing around several hours later. Failure to fix the eye can result in permanent damage and blindness.
Shepherd’s Choice™ Management TipWhile entropion is a genetic condition many operations do not select against it heavily. I can teach a 12 year old to fix an inverted eyelid. I and breeders cannot fix other genetic problems such as a genetic line that only has singles, or poor growth rate, or ewes that don't know how to be mothers. This is not an excuse to not cull genetics that have entropion, however many breeders put it lower on this list than other problems.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Michael A from Texas
We used one of these clips to treat entropion on the eyelid of a baby goat. It worked perfectly! We put a clip on the lower eyelid of the kid, the next day the eye was greatly improved and clip fell off in 4 days. Nearly a month has passed and the eye is perfect! Our veterinary sold us eyedrops as a treatment. We thought the eye was a loss. Thank you for a great, reasonably priced product!
Tom B from Utah
While the clips are a long way from the perfect fix for Entropian, they are the best solution available. Premier is a rare source for them and as always, they are shipped and in use before others get the order processed.
Rafter W from Kentucky
Worked wonderfully to correct a kids eyelid.
Kyle V from Wisconsin
Wish I would have bought these sooner. It takes a couple times of use to figure out where to put them on a lambs eye lid but very effective at fixing them.
Tom B from Utah
I give the clips 4 stars as I don't like using them and they really aren't super effective. On the other hand, they are by far the best thing out there to fix Entropion. Until the Premier Team figures out a new solution, buy these and use them knowing they are the best solution available. In the mean time — Premier — I'm issuing you the challenge to find a better way!