Wound Clips & Forceps
- 0.43"L x 0.08"W x 0.12"H
- For smaller breeds
- 100 clips per package
How to Use
A few hints:
- There are about 100 clips in a package. Waste the first two to three by handling the forceps without the lamb so that you get a feel.
- When you try and do it on the first lamb you will drop another 2 clips and loose them in the straw, don't get frustrated. You have 100.
- Place the clip horizontal, not vertical. This is opposite of what you would think.
- Push toward the lamb as you are squeezing. Use force. You will not hurt the lamb.
- If the entropion isn't corrected, place another clip above or below. (this is important!!) It may take 2-3 clips to get the eyelid to lie correctly.
- The clip will fall out in 10-14 days and the eyelid will be normal.
- The first 4-5 that you do you will get frustrated. After 5 you will be able to do this in under 5 seconds.
Shepherd’s Choice™ Management TipWatery eyes in baby lambs are generally inverted eyelids and not pink eye. The hair of the eyelid is rubbing against and irritating the outside surface of the eye, making it water. The eyelids need to be corrected. I like to use metal wound clips. The clips are pinched together horizontally, not vertically as one would think. It is generally the bottom lid that is involved. I've seen lambs with watery eyes, depressed, head down, and standing around; fix the eyelid and they have been jumping and playing around several hours later. Failure to fix the eye can result in permanent damage and blindness.
Shepherd’s Choice™ Management TipWhile entropion is a genetic condition many operations do not select against it heavily. I can teach a 12 year old to fix an inverted eyelid. I and breeders cannot fix other genetic problems such as a genetic line that only has singles, or poor growth rate, or ewes that don't know how to be mothers. This is not an excuse to not cull genetics that have entropion, however many breeders put it lower on this list than other problems.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Elizabeth M from NW Illinois
Though I have not purchased these from premier one. They just started carrying them. They are "eye savers". Been using them for years. A few day with a clip applied, corrects the entropian! So glad to see Premier carry these.