- Works on all 13, 17, 20, 22, 23 tooth combs
- Fits Premier's 4000s or any 3" shearing head.
How to Use
Storing the Clipper/Shearer, Blades, Combs & Cutters
- Remove blades/combs/cutters from clipper or shearer.
- Clean blades/combs/cutters immediately after use by using a small brush or blowing off any excess dirt or hair. Cover with oil to reduce risk of rust. High carbon steel clipper blades will rust overnight. Rust destroys both edge and polished surface of blades.
- Store clipper/shearer and blades away from solvents, chemicals and moisture. Never leave them where they can be damaged by accidental impact. (We offer a storage box and wool felt for the blades and a case for the clippers.)
- To reproduce the quality of the cutting edge on the clipper blades that came from the factory, a lapping machine must be used. Most other methods are, in our experience, inferior. In addition to producing a cutting edge that won’t last, some methods can permanently damage blades. The most common “culprit” is using large high speed grinding wheels that are used to sharpen cutters and combs.
- Who uses lapping machines and who does not? Premier does and you can ship them to us. Other firms also use systems/machines that work well.
Warning: Clipper blades/cutters/combs that have been sharpened by inferior methods or inexperienced people may be damaged to such an extent that they can never be restored to a satisfactory cutting capability. The same is true of blades that have become too heavily pitted by rust.
- Make sure the comb & cutter are on as described in the instructions.
- Make sure the comb name can be read on outside when placed on head.
- Make sure to have 1/8" space from end of comb bevel to tip of cutter.
- Make sure the edge of the cutter does not go over the side of the comb.
- Make sure the tension is set correctly.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Resharpening ServiceItem #868600 -
Resharpen your blades, combs or cutters. Rapid turnaround, precision finish, low cost! Custom-engraving available.$1.50
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Brian M from Iowa
These cutter blades work amazing! WHEN THEY ARE SHARP! I was a first time shearer. I have a small herd of angora goats. My philosophy was first come first sheared. It was a pregnant doe. Did it old school. Sat her down and went to town. Arm pits. Dangerous. Cut poor claire. Got anxious. Started being paranoid. Pulled on her fleece to see where i was going. BAD IDEA. Their skin is so light and stretchy it pulls right up and you cut it off. BAM! One inch gaping wound. Now i feel like I'm killing her. Finished up with just those two lessons and not another cut. But you know what, I wasn't lubricating the blade because I was too worrying too much about cutting my precious claire. Now the blade is getting hot, the goats begin crying out, I'm pulling the fleece to make sure I'm not cutting my little yearling whethers and you know what. I CUT THEM MORE! So here's the end of my review. LUBRICATE THE BLADE. HAVE A BUNCH OF BLADES. DON'T PULL ON THE FLEECE AS YOUR SHEAR. BILLY GOATS DON'T LIKE YOU CUTTIN AROUND THEIR COIN PURSE. CROTCHES OF ANY KIND ARE PROBLEMATIC. WHEN THE BLADE GETS HOT TRIM THEIR HOOVES AND VACCINATE OR HAVE A LEMONADE,TILL IT COOLS DOWN. THE JOB IS DIFFICULT DON'T GET FLUSTERED! SHEARING STAND OR STANCHION IS SOMEWHAT EASIER. SHARP BLADE. SHARP BLADE. SHARP BLADE. LUBRICATION. MORE SHARP BLADES. SEND THEM TO PREMIER WHEN THEY NEED SHARPENING. LOVE YOUR ANIMALS. LUBRICATION.
Leslie R from Tennessee
Excellent for sheering sheep. I was able to sheer 25 head, some dirty, without it becoming dull. Very sharp cutter!
Christine S from Lancaster, PA
The Spitfire Cutter is by far the best cutter on the market. It holds an edge quite well and is super sharp. I've had these cutters sharpened year after year and they never disappoint. Much better value than some of the other brand cutters.
John M from MN
This an pretty much everything from Premier is great. But why can't I get a shipping quote at the time of order? I bought 10 plastic posts, 3 of these cutters and 2 combs. Total, $79. SHipping, $19. Could have bought more items for the same total money with the free shipping over $100. But I couldn't get a shipping estimate in real time..
Jill B from Hawaii
The Spitfire comb is economical and long lasting. On our flock of Hampshires and Suffolks we are able to get through 12-15 shears before needed to change blades. Keep them oiled and cleaned frequently and the cutter will remain sharp and cut clean even through the dirtiest of wool. When I first began buying the Spitfires, I would consistently buy too many. They sharpen well and stay sharp longer than all other cutters we have tried.