Heat Lamp Bulbs
- The base breaks away from the glass bulb because the high temperature causes the cheap adhesive to degrade.
- Both glass and filament are so fragile that minimal impact shatters them.
Smooth Glass Infrared Bulbs
- “Never-loose” base
- Red or clear glass
- 175 watt (Premier's choice) or 250 watt. Sold/priced in packages of 2.
- Turn off (unplug) the lamp when not in use.
- Use a ThermoCube to turn the lamp on/off based on ambient temperature.
- Carry the lamps with care. This reduces damage to the bulb. Don’t carry multiple lamps by the cord allowing them to “bang around.”
- Don’t hose off or power-wash the lamp when the bulb is in place.
- Don’t enclose the lamp. Heat will build up and degrade both the lamp and the bulb.
- To help reduce pecking with your birds, use a red colored bulb.
“Never-loose” base—they don’t use cement adhesive. Instead, the base screws into the bulb. A weld of solder holds the base onto the threads. If a never-loose base ever becomes loose under normal use, we will replace at no cost!
Other bulbs are attached with cement adhesive. Heat causes the cement to lose its adhesive property. The base then breaks away from the bulb.
PAR (pressed glass) bulbs are stronger, but because of their weight, they are more prone to separating from the base when repeated jostling occurs.
Non-PAR bulbs shatter more easily when jostled, but are less likely to separate from the base.
Please see CAUTION photo above. Never lay a heat lamp (of any make or manufacture) on straw or any other flammable surface—for any length of time.
Why do we show you this? Because we included this photo on p. 60 of our 2011 “Equipment That Works!” catalog and p. 16 on our Poultry flyer—and we regret doing so. To prevent any incident (there has been none to our knowledge) we felt we should show you this as a cautionary note.
- Do not use bulbs rated higher that 250w.
- Use quality bulbs as some low quality bulbs have broken off leaving the metal filament in the ceramic fixture.
Please read this note regarding pressed glass bulbs (PREVIOUSLY SOLD items #557034 or #557035).
A customer has reported problems screwing PAR (pressed glass) heat lamp bulbs into our heat lamp fixtures—so we’ve studied this in detail.
We have concluded that, because the PAR bulbs feel so sturdy and unbreakable in the hand (which they are), some users (including myself) are inclined to screw them in with more hand strength than they use for normal heat lamp bulbs (which are fragile and feel that way).
Using too much strength to tighten the bulbs doesn’t damage the bulbs—but it does deform the brass colored metal inside the ceramic fixtures of our heat lamps.
Mild deformation due to over tightening makes it difficult to screw bulbs in and out of the fixture. Major deformation due to over tightening can flatten the metal so much that the bulb can actually fall out.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Triple C from Ohio
Like the smooth glass bulbs, they aren't as heavy as the other bulbs, what I believe is part of problem with the porcelain sockets if they get bumped around and loosened.
Vickie D from New York
I use them to keep piglets warm. I like they amount of heat they put out and their durability.
Delena N from Utah
Product works great!
Sheryl H from Illinois
I originally though I had ordered 175 watt bulbs to save on electricity but instead got 2 250 watt bulbs. I was actually glad I got the higher wattage bulbs for maximum heat in an 8x10 shed with 6 cats.
Elizabeth R from Ontario, Canada
As always, top service and just the tools and products we need to make our animals comfortable and to make it possible to tend to them in a more efficient way. We have been using these heat lamps for several years and stocked up on more as we are using them for our birds, our dogs and sheep and after so many years of worrying about the safety of other lamps these have proven to do the job and also to bring peace of mind as they really are sturdy. We appreciate both the lamps themselves and the bulbs. Thanks!