Heated Poultry Waterer
Provides clean water to the flock year-round. Internal heater keeps water flowing in temperatures as low as -20°F.
We’ve listened to your feedback and have introduced several improvements over the previous version:
- Larger capacity (3 gal)
- Secure, interlocking lid
- Heavy-duty handle for carrying and hanging
- Detachable cord for non-winter use
- Lid is secured to the base via unique interlocking tabs
- Conical lid shape to prevent birds from perching and soiling waterer
- Insulated lid traps warmer air inside waterer
- Integrated lid handle can be used for both carrying and hanging
- Electrical cord length has been increased to 16' to allow more flexibility without using extension cords
- Built-in thermostat turns heating element on at 40°F and off at 60°F
- (3) recessed nipples are a drip-catch design.
- Capacity: 3 gal (12 qt)
- Bucket Dimensions: 9"H, 13"Dia
- Overall Height: 14"H
- Suited for: Up to 35 adult birds
- 100-watt heater
- Detachable 16 ft grounded electrical cord
- (3) replacement nipples included. Additional drip-catch nipples can be purchased separately.
How to Use
The detachable cord can be stowed separately during warmer months.
The electrical plug cap (used during summer months) fits over a nub on the bottom of the bucket.
Nipples should be placed just above the birds’ heads. The birds should stretch up slightly to drink.
A few tricks for dealing with stubborn birds:
- Remove all other sources of water. Place the new nipple waterer in the old waterer’s location.
- Bring a bird’s beak directly to the nipple waterer and flick the nipple. You may have to activate the nipple with the bird’s beak to demonstrate the new water source. (See video above.)
- Place a sunflower seed in the drip trough. When the bird pecks at the seed, it will discover the new water source.
- Use a red laser pointer to direct chickens to the nipple. Similar to house cats, our chickens will chase and follow the red light. (This was inadvertently discovered by our photo dept and is now our go-to method for getting camera-shy birds to cooperate.)
You don’t have to train every bird in the flock. Just a few will do. Once the first chickens begin drinking, others will follow.
Warning: Risk of electrical shock—Connect only to a branch circuit protected by a ground-fault circuit-interrupter (GFCI). Contact a qualified electrician if you cannot verify that the circuit is protected by a GFCI.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Fred L from Vermont
Am not able to teach my hens it's use and therefore is a big waist of my money.
Gerald W from Idaho
Rhode Island Reds took right to the red nipples. Very nice transition. It must be in the genes!
Debra I from Illinois
I have not used the heater yet since its summer, but it's a great additive to this waterer. Love the ease of filling, easy fir chicks to use, and cleaner water.
A R from Maryland
I bought this after the nipples on my "Hen Hydrator" kept freezing up (despite the birdbath heater inside the bucket) in very cold weather. For some reason it took my hens a while to get used to it. Once they did, though, they *greatly* prefer it to the "Hen Hydrator" (even when the latter is working right). Works like a charm - even during our coldest weather this winter (single digits), it didn't freeze. I'll be selling off the "Hen Hydrator" this fall. Agree with another reviewer - it'd sure be nice if I could hang it in the run rather than sit it on a cinder block - easier to adjust the height. Adding a handle to the base would make this possible. Then I could zip-tie the cord to the chain I hang it with to reduce the risk of its getting unplugged by a chicken trying to perch on it. Torn between giving it four and five stars. In terms of something that works and saves me from hauling water on cold mornings - it's worth ten stars! I'm giving it 4/5 just because it could have been that tiny bit better if I could hang it.
David R from Michigan
-10° outside and this heated waterer is still flowing. Thanks to the lid and nipple system the water is also kept clean. Outstanding product.