Rubber “O” Rings
“O” rings are commonly used for docking lambs or castrating ram-lambs and goat kids. These elastic bands can be expanded with an elastrator tool and slid over the tail or scrotum (including testicles), and then released.
Constricted ring will steadily squeeze arteries supplying area with blood. Without blood, tail and scrotum will dry and drop-off over a period of 10–20 days.
Available in resealable storage bag, or hard plastic container.
To expand the “O” rings, use:
- High-density latex rubber
- 100 “O” rings per package/container
- Failing to ensure that both testicles are actually in the scrotum below the ring (tricky with baby lambs and kids).
- Applying rings before a lamb is 24 hours old, up on its feet, nursing and active may interrupt nursing and thus predispose lamb to rapid death from E. coli problems (“watery mouth”). Many wait a day or two to apply on twins, triplets and orphan lambs.
- Rubber rings can cause tetanus. Be sure to vaccinate ewes or does with a booster dose prior to parturition.
Follow this link to learn about other methods of docking and castrating.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Anita R from Indiana
These bands work as expected. The 5 stars are for Premier’s delivery and support of the sheep industry with products producers need.
John E from Idaho
A simple product that has not gotten better by being modernized. Too inconsistent. Brand new batch, first group of lambs, and some bands slide right on the tool, no effort. We have bought new ones each of the last three years, store them as recommended, same experience. They make a simple job suddenly very problematic. I checked that I wouldn't recommend, but what are the real options? After 40 years and 1000's of lambs, it's disappointing.
Kara S from Michigan
Quick turnaround time from ordering to delivery and these bands work great.
Michelle B from Maryland
Always a great experience. Priced well.
Stephen S from North Carolina
Seamless transaction from beginning to end.