- Pritchard Teat, with washer
- Fits all Lamb ‘N’ Kid bottles; both wide-mouth and standard
- Pritchard Teat, without washer
- Fits wide-mouth Lamb ‘N’ Kid bottles sold after Dec 1, 2019. Also fits all standard-mouth Lamb 'N' Kid bottles and most plastic soda bottles.
How to Use
How to cut the Pritchard Teat
Teats are supplied with no hole in the end and must be cut before use. Two different techniques can be used to cut the teat:
- The most common technique is to use sharp scissors and snip the tip off cross-ways. The more you snip, the bigger the hole, so don’t overdo it.
- An alternate method was recently shown to us by one of our shepherds. Using the new technique, do not cut off the tip, but instead carefully slit the end into two halves with a razor knife. The two halves snap back together when not in use and self seal the end of the teat. Most importantly, this self-sealing method of cutting the teat allows you to place the teat in a partially inverted position, from which the lambs can suck at will.
Shepherd’s Choice™ Management TipDo NOT cut off the tip!Instead carefully slit the outer end of tip into two halves with a razor, scalpel or very sharp scissors. The halves should snap together and help self-seal the end of teat when not in use.
- Do not put bottles with attached teats in the microwave. Remove the teat first, otherwise it will melt.
- Be sure not to lose the tiny metal ball that rattles when you shake the teat. The teat will leak without this ball. This rarely happens and primarily only from washing the teats too aggressively.
- Do not leave teats sitting in the sunlight. Especially do not leave them sitting on a window ledge inside a building. This “greenhouse” situation has been known to heat the red latex until it melts into a gooey blob. As all areas of high heat are bad for this type of latex, it‘s best not to leave them close to an “active” wood stove or furnace.
- Do not clean the teats in boiling water. Use only warm water with a small amount of dishwashing detergent.
- Do not use Clorox® to disinfect teats. The strong chemical reacts with the latex and can cause rapid disintegration of the teat.
- Be aware of imitation Pritchard teats currently on the market. They can be identified by their stiffer, molded rubber material. Pritchard teats are made with soft pliable latex. We have found in experimenting with the molded teats that they are difficult to use with weak lambs, goat kids or tiny lambs from triplets or quads.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Teats and NipplesItem #562701 -
Easy to clean, wide-mouth plastic bottle for feeding orphan lambs or goat kids.$4.50
Teats and NipplesItem #562700 -
Easy to clean, wide-mouth plastic bottle for feeding orphan lambs or goat kids.$6.50
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Kathy M from Minnesota
These are the best. Very durable. No choking. Works best on a glass bottle or the thicker pop bottle.
Susan V from Indiana
Have bought theses before, they are perfect for kid goats.
Leigh A from Missouri
This is THE ONLY teat to use with lambs. The flutter valve stops any choking on milk that occurs with the knock-off of this teat.
Sharon C from Virginia
Extremely disappointed in the washerless Pritchard Teats. They will not properly screw on to the blue portion of the Premier Wide-mouth Lamb ‘N’ Kid Bottle. We thought it might be a fluke and tried another washerless teat and the same thing occurred. The result of this is that milk just pours out of the blue base all over the place. When I screwed on a teat with a washer, there was no problem at all — they attach perfectly. I would not have ordered all of these washerless teats if Premier's website didn't state that both styles would work with their bottle. I will note that my bottles are a few years old, so perhaps if a bottle redesign has occurred that is why these washerless teats won't work on older models.
Tammy C from Texas
Great nipples. They wash well and last a very long time.