Conductors: Electric Rope, Twine, Wire & Tape
Why our electric fence conductors excel…
- Premier’s low-tension conductors are made to our specifications. They’re the result of over 40 years of testing, observing, analyzing and retesting on our own farms. We continue to “tweak” specifications—and recognize that all products can be further improved.
- We specialize in electric fences. Amazon.com doesn’t. And neither do most farm stores. We are interested in what works and what might fail for specific purposes for specific species. We are not interested in what sells best, fancy packages or exaggerated claims.
- It’s almost a “given” that if someone is selling rope for less than Premier, it is inferior in diameter, conductivity, filament quality or visibility. (Check the labels for yourself.)
- Our goal is to supply you with choices—for unique and proven products with features and capabilities not found elsewhere.
Shortcuts for ordering
- Most UV resistant:
- EnduraSoft® 6.0 and IntelliBraid® 6.0
- Most resistant to mildew:
- IntelliRope® PE 6.0
- Best for long fences:
- EnduraSoft® 6.0, IntelliBraid® 6.0, IntelliRope® PE 4.5 and IntelliRope® PE 6.0
- Best for portable fences:
- IntelliBraid® Twine PE 3.0, IntelliBraid® Twine PE 2.25 and IntelliTwine™ 2.25
- Best for semi-permanent fences:
- IntelliRope® PE 4.5, IntelliRope® PE 6.0 and MaxiShock™ Wire
- Best for reel systems:
- IntelliBraid® Twine PE 3.0 and IntelliBraid® Twine PE 2.25
- Lowest cost per ft:
- IntelliTwine™ 2.25
- Least cost per year of use:
- EnduraSoft® 6.0, IntelliBraid® 6.0 and IntelliRope® PE 4.5
When purchasing electrifiable rope, look for:
- Visibility against all backgrounds—Animals see colors poorly, so maximum contrast is important.
- Conductivity—Important if the fence is over 1000 ft or in contact with weeds. If not, conductivity is a minimal factor.
- Durability—Should match intended use. Why should you buy a “20-year” rope for a “2-year” situation? It will disappoint!
- Exposure of metal filaments—The better ropes and twine have these spread evenly and frequently around the exterior.
- Support—Extreme warranties (with fine print) play upon fear to drive up sales. We’ve backed all of our products for over 40 years. If a Premier item disappoints in ways not described by Premier, we will replace it or refund its value. Simple as that!
Buyer beware!Many store labels don’t tell you what the plastic filaments are. They should—because there can be large differences in performance and cost per year of life.
In descending order of cost per ft and inherent resistance to sunlight:
- Polyester (PES)
- Virgin polyethylene monofilament (v-PE)
- Polyethylene monofilament (PE)
- Polypropylene film (PP)
The differences between these in response to sunlight, movement, stretching, mildew and years of life can be significant. Some work for less than 2 years and some more than 20 years. That’s why we advise not buying rope, twine or tape from manufacturers and sellers who do not clearly state which filament their product is made of.
Conductor Comparison Chart
|Name||Approx. cost per ft.||Plastic filaments||Probable yrs. of life*||Diameter (or width)||Visibility to animals||Portable||Ω (ohms) per 1000'||Breaking strength|
|IntelliBraid® 6.0||17¢||PES||25||.25"||good||fair||48 Ω||1900 lb.|
|EnduraSoft® 6.0||15¢||PES||25||.25"||better||fair||50 Ω||1800 lb.|
|IntelliRope® PE 6.0||9¢||v-PE||10||.25"||better||good||50 Ω||1200 lb.|
|IntelliRope® PE 4.5||6¢||v-PE||10||.19"||good||better||50 Ω||750 lb.|
|IntelliBraid® Twine PE 3.0||5¢||v-PE||5||.12"||fair||best||50 Ω||325 lb.|
|IntelliBraid® Twine PE 2.25||4¢||v-PE||5||.09"||fair||best||50 Ω||280 lb.|
|IntelliTwine™ 2.25||3¢||v-PE||5||.09"||fair||best||50 Ω||240 lb.|
When to use low-tensile wire or tape?MaxiShock™ Wire is good for long fences that are seldom moved. Unlike high-tensile wire, it’s much lighter and requires no special tools or connectors. MaxiShock™ is easy to wind, unwind, cut, tie and join. Grass farmers also like it for simple in-field connections between fences.
IntelliTape™ and Speedrite Extreme Tape are the most visible conductors. Narrow tapes are more resistant to strong wind than wider tapes, but even so, tape fences generally require more maintenance. Use when visibility is critical—adventure-prone cattle and horses recognize tape faster than other conductors such as polywires and braids.
Need help deciding?Contact a fence specialist. Premier’s experts have years of experience. Call us toll-free at 800-282-6631.
Options for keeping deer out:
- Electric Netting
- An electrifiable semi-permanent or temporary anti-deer fence with pre-installed line posts.
- 2D Anti-Deer Fences
- Simple to install and lower cost (vs. netting), multi-strand fences are an effective barrier when deer pressure is low to moderate. Deer can jump 48", so we prefer tall fences. The animal’s first encounter must be memorable—invest in a strong fence energizer.
- 3D Anti-Deer Fences
- Deer have “landing anxiety” before they decide to jump over something. When facing a fence that has height, length and depth, deer are more tentative than with a fence that’s only “2D” (tall/wide, but not deep). 3D fences have proven record protecting apple orchards, tree farms, vineyards and newly planted trees from deer.
Deer must learn that any fence is a deterrent. The best way to do this, in addition to a memorable shock, is to draw them in by baiting the fence. Once attracted to the scent, they will check the fence with their nose…and receive a strong electric shock. The pain encourages deer to find a less risky “restaurant,” trail or bedding ground.