7X Ear Tags
Large readable cattle tags. Differ from many US cattle tags because the male is not a button. The tag is a double-panel so it is readable front or back. Tamper-evident.
Customize your tags! We can customize your tags with consecutive numbers or farm/ranch name. Usually shipped within 2 business days.
How to order: See Customization information below. When ordering blank tags, type "Blank" in the Customization Instructions box on the shopping cart page.
- 2-1/8" x 2-1/2" (male) and 2-1/8" x 3" (female)
- 20 per package.
- Tag colors in order of visibility and contrast of the printed numbers: Yellow, Salmon, White, Orange, Green, Blue and Red.
- Can be custom imprinted: 1) Consecutive numbers or farm/ranch name. 2) Up to 3 lines of 15 characters per male/female side.
- Can also handwrite on them with Marking Pens.
- Scrapie Approved.
Custom printing details…
- Order tags above.
- Determine imprint:
- Numbers must be consecutive with or without repeating farm/ranch names. Up to 15 characters and 3 lines per side.
- Logos/Brands have a one-time $15 setup fee per design.
- Imprint location - male side, female side or both. Note: We will print both sides (male and female) unless otherwise specified.
- Enter tag numbers/letters either in the "Customization Instructions" box in the Shopping Cart or the "Comments" box on the Payment Options screen.
- Custom-imprinted tags are not returnable.
How do I order…
- Blank Tags—Enter package quantity of tags above and type "blank" in the Customization Instructions box in the shopping cart.
- Individual names, numbers or replacement tags—Specific animal names on each tag as well as individual numbers out of sequence can be done. But it takes much more machine time per tag so the cost per tag is $2.50/tag and please call Premier at 1-800-282-6631.
Note: You can also hand write numbers and letters on blank tags or supplemental data on already printed tags. Use our Marking Pens.
Scrapie tagsWhen ordering, please enter the following information in the Customization Instructions box on the shopping cart page:
- Your Flock ID number (we are not allowed to keep this on file).
- The range of the 4-5 digit individual animal numbers (i.e. 4501-4520 or 45001-45020).
- Male side of the tag has two lines for custom imprinting (individual animal ID number is not automatically added). Specify what you would like on the two available lines as Line 1:____ and Line 2:____. (This is a good place to add the individual animal ID and a farm name).
Scrapie tags not available in blue. Flock ID number is imprinted on female side only unless otherwise indicated.
How to Use
- The male and female tags will come to you slightly connected. You will need to tear them apart.
- Place the flag of the female tag under the metal spring finger. The printed side of the female tag will be against the jaw of the applicator. Slide the male tag over the metal pin. NOTE: Be sure to push it all the way onto the pin. The printed side of the male tag will be against the other jaw of the applicator.
- Make sure the tag is correctly placed. Slowly squeeze the handles together to be sure the male pin aligns with the female opening (be careful to not put the tag together yet).
- Place the ear between the jaws of the applicator. While gripping the ear, quickly and firmly squeeze the handles together until the male tag is inserted through the ear and into the female tag.
Note: We will print both sides (male and female) unless otherwise specified.
Inserting Tags In Cold Weather
Plastic tags (all brands) are much easier to install if they are warm. Why? As the temperature drops below freezing plastic becomes less flexible (more stiff) and forcing the male point of a tag through the female takes many more lbs. of pressure (because the female must expand).
So if you care about your hands it’s a good idea to keep the tags above freezing in very cold weather. It takes very little to do this. One method is to simply store them while tagging in a small bucket, cardboard box or tool box with a lid alongside a sealed pop bottle full of warm water. The warm water will keep both the air and the tags warmer in the container.
Listed below are recommended optional components or related items. Your particular situation may require alternative recommendations. Please call and talk to our consultants if there are any questions at 800-282-6631.
Write a Review
You must be logged in to leave a review. Please sign in.
Bryce F from MN
These are great tags large enough to see at a distance and have had great luck with not losing tags. They are the perfect size to put in mature ewes or at weaning for replacement ewes and rams. Would like to see more color options though.
Larry B from Minnesota
The tags are big enough to read the numbers from a distance in the pasture, whether using the preprinted ones or using an Alflex marker on the blank tags.
We have had great luck so far with our 7X green eartags. We use them on our flock of 40 ewes. Easy to order and personalization looks nice. We have had issues with other brands of tags getting caught on gates/fence/feeders ect. But so far, our ewes havent had luck ripping these out.
I've been using these tags for the last couple of years and have been very impressed. I like that I can read the tag from both sides and that the cattle retain the tags so much better than the local farm store tags that get ripped out all the time. And ordering through Premier has always been a breeze.
I like the product but I wish the tags were larger so they can be read easier from a distance. I like the two sided tags. I thought Premier had a larger version but I can't seem to find it. They need to be 3" wide at least.